Android 2.0 Discussion

@david.mccrindle I appreciate the optimism. Given that ST doesn’t like to give timelines… How long will we have to wait to have these things fixed or improved?

I lived with shake to reveal names for over a year, but looking at that “SmartRing” with the horrible waste and really stepping bad gradient blur on it just drives me nuts. I want it to do things, I want to see that spyglass move, I want it to work, but it just is wasted space and a poorly executed radial blur effect.

If it isn’t what you wanted, why not just remove it until its ready? Why settle for bad design and promise it will be better in the future?

2 Likes

Hi Allison,

Sorry to hear about that. support@smartthings.com will be the best bet for fixing this for you.

I’ve emailed them. Posting here in case others have similar issues.

3 Likes

last one for today. If I change the state of a switch from the detail page and then go back to the list, the state shown is incorrect. I will open a ticket…

Understood. Updates are coming.

You have to add a switch or a routine to change the mode.

I really like @MichaelS ’ new Alexa helper smart app. You can set up six momentary switches at once to change the mode.

I also added A separate room I call Mode Switches which is where i stick switches like this. So I end up with just one momentary button tile for each mode and I just have to tap that to switch to that mode. Or, I can just tell the Amazon Echo to turn on that mode. :sunglasses:

It takes some set up initially but after that, works really well. Actually like it better than what we had in the old app.

Steps:

1. create one virtual switch for each mode. I like to use momentary button tile. These work like a doorbell button, they are off most of the time except when you push it and in that moment it goes on and then reverts to off. That means it is always ready to turn on the next time, you can never get out of sync.

Two) create a new room called admin or modes or whatever you want. And assign all the momentary switches to that room.

Three) install Michael’s Alexa helper smartapp in the IDE and publish it to yourself. Then find it in the marketplace in the new app and use it. It will walk you through a set up wizard will you have six different slots that you can use, one switch per slot.

1. if you want to use the switches in echo, you also need to authorize them to the echo smartapp and then have echo discover the devices.

Like I said, a little bit of work to set up, but from then on you’re good.

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks for responding. Hopefully you will smile at this comment. As I’m from MN.

"Updates are coming. "

Yeah so is winter. Which will be here first? :slight_smile:

Overall. It is a big step forward. Just a lot of polish and enhancements are needed.

But we can’t always get what we want, if you try, sometimes, you’ll find you get what you need.

Just keep cranking out the progress. We are all here to help push this along. I rarely pull punches but it comes from a good place.

4 Likes

Android widget does not work just says problem loading widget. Plus it wasn’t properly formatted text in widget view, instead just com.SmartThings…

Did the widget get axed and this is just a leftover or will there be a working widget?

Yes, yes, yes…“black screen of death”.

Report it to support. Originally, I didn’t have widgets for iOS or for my watch, but tonight I have both. So I assume they’re going to do that for android as well. :sunglasses:

We hear you and we’re working on it! Scrolling is no fun.

We’re working on it. Thanks for your patience, @pstuart!

Who wouldn’t want many Polish sausages? :slight_smile:

Don’t receive notifications anymore, can’t configure the news devices (no idea where are the alerts) so can’t create category on the dashboard page. Seriously disappointed it’s like you didn’t tried your app before the release. Will wait few months before to buy the hub v2 don’t want to be your beta user again.

1 Like

Not sure which alerts you’re looking for, but this sequence will get you to some of them:

1. choose marketplace, which is the rightmost icon in the lowest row. Looks like the multicolored asterisk.

2. at the top of the next screen you’ll see two tabs, things and smart apps. Choose smart apps. This is the list of all available smartapps for you to install.

3. choose “safety and security.”

Four) the first smartapp there should be “notify when.” There are other alert smartapps in that same category as well.

@GuyInATie

Smart Home Monitor will be pushed to all the users by us.

Yes, you should be able to use SHM to monitor extreme temperatures.

This is not a bug. You should still have all of the dashboards you had V1 in V2.

Thank you I saw the smartapps but I wanted to find the section “action” or "alert " like before because if you add a smartapp you will not see your devices on the dashboard and I’m not a big fan to open every room to check if a light is on. I tried the smartapps but I don’t receive any notification.

Hey @tigorux,

You shouldn’t need to open a room to check the state of a light, but rather you can scroll through the list of your devices.

Also, the “Lights & Switches” dashboard should have migrated from your V1 experience, allowing you to see if they’re on or off there as well.

I’m not sure I understand when you say that “if you add a smartapp you will not see your devices on the dashbaord”, can you please share a screenshot or describe this issue more?

It’s also possible that the notifications you’re looking for are going to be part of the new SHM (smart home monitor), A new feature which is being pushed out over the next day or so. There’s a lot of stuff about notifications in that.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/205380154-Meet-Smart-Home-Monitor