Android 2.0.4 Available on Play

On my Samsung S4, the app will always, always, crash when going to SmartApps. On my Note 4, is still crashes just as often as before with 2.0.x. Zero improvement for me.

2 Likes

yup, no change for me either, still sucks…

The android crash issues are getting to the point of stupidity. This version crashes as much or more than 2.0.3, this is on KitKat and lollypop.

Am I supposed to go buy a freaking iPhone?, is that the only OS that actually gets tested on?
I just don’t get it. All I hear from ST is that “well it works for us/me”…

I’m here to tell you that this is the single worst performing application I’ve ever used/had to use in my 30 plus years of using computer software.

I’ve been patient to this point, obviously the issue is with my setup, so @slagle, @Ben, @alex what do I need to do to get past this disaster?

3 Likes

@Mike_Maxwell

Send me your details again. I can’t find them. I’ll see if I can get a version of your phone bought for testing.

1 Like

With all due respect, I think the Android app fails for everyone. Just not all complain.

I’m using a Moto X 2nd gen.

1 Like

Tim, just log into my account, I’ll pm you the details if you want to go that route, you don’t need to buy a phone, it crashes as bad on the wife’s note 3, running 5.0…

1 Like

I have to admit that on Note 5 life is not that bad, and since V 2.0.4 was released I see this screen rather rare, but none the less, this is what I’ve got on my last crash, about 2 min ago:

1 Like

26 in a week?, that’s it? I’ve crashed this thing at least 50 times in the last two hours…
I take that back, I crashed it 20 times in the last 10 minutes…
Thank god I don’t run my house from this interface, It’s so bad It takes me 10 minutes to make any configuration changes. This is ridiculous…

2 Likes

These are major crashes that freeze my phone completely. For each one of these I encounter 10 small crashes where the app just closes itself but I can reopen it without any delays. Usually when the app freezes like this, I check the forum. You can easily tell how many of these major crashes I’ve encountered, by how active I’ve been on the forum since I’ve migrated to v2.

I do have to admit, that with each Android version the number of crashes has been decreasing and the overall stabilty has been noticeably improving.

Same boat here too with my note 3. Crashs, hangs and I get the black screen as well.

Note 4 as well 5.0 black screen and crash

Hey Tim,

Just a heads up mine crashes every 30 sec or so as well, and has for months (Nexus 6 5.2,). It’s just part of the experience for me, apparently. In addition, I often have to restart the app, as some views will just hang forever even if I go into a different view.

I setup a MITM wireshark with a fake cert so I can decrypt the traffic. I see a lot of partial returns, which seems consistent with the UI behavior.

I do have a lot of (the most?) devices and a lot of apps. Please shoot me a message if you need test cases.

1 Like

Nope not your setup crashes it hangs on me constantly.

Just adding a data point. I started suspecting my launcher of behaving badly, and went back to stock. Poof, instant reliability update. No crashes in an hour of use. Either ST is incompatible with my launcher (Action3), OR it craps up launcher cache in some way, OR it’s tested only with stock launcher (naturally) and therefore has a bug related to other launchers. Maybe it has something to do with other launchers allow portrait/landscape view of home?

In any case, sticking with stock launcher for now, because I always end up back on stock for some reason (not just ST).

Hope maybe this helps someone fix a problem, if not, just adds a data point for ST.

I reported these crashes from the second the official release of the app took place, and have been communicating with support the entire time. I’m at over 200+ devices, and growing. I was at less than that in terms of devices when this all started, and I can’t say for sure that there’s a significant correlation between the two.

I’ve volunteered thousands of times to help (through several channels), as well as Mike and I offering a conference call. From what I’ve been told, ST knows what’s going on, but it will take a long time to resolve. In the mean time, my S4 has been rendered useless, my Note 4 is barely usable, but luckily my tablet still has v1.7.6 of the app working perfectly for the most part.

I’m beyond being frustrated at the poor quality of the Android app. All I can do is complain, and so should everyone else with this problem. If you haven’t done so, please submit a ticket to support@smartthings.com.

For adding in datapoint, on my Nexus 4 with 5.1.1 stock Android, mine rarely ever crashes, maybe once a week and it’s usually only if I’m fiddling with a Smart App or something, just turning things on and off and I pretty much have no problem.

Have you lot tried a full factory reset on your phone recently? Just like Windows, Android gets all messed up after a while as well and just like a format and installing from scratch, Android benefits from this too.

Additionally, what mods have you lot done? Custom ROMs? Custom Kernels? Are you using any funky apps which might interfere? Don’t get me wrong, the ST app is somewhat fragile and needs tidying up, but to have it crash 50 times a day, something else is going wrong.

Yeah, it’s called SmartThings…

My phone is stock, no custom ROM’s, weird apps, etc. I’m definitely not going to do a factory reset and hose everything else up and start over with apps that work perfectly well, plus my phone is practically new with very few apps installed. I don’t game, or use social media apps, at all. BTW, my wife’s S4 just had a factory reset done when I cascaded it to her when her other device failed. It still crashes…

I was working perfectly fine with v1.7.6, and then came along app 2.x. This is ST’s issue to resolve, and they know it and have stated so in the support ticket I’d had open for a couple months now.

1 Like

mine is stock laucher and it crashes all the time… I also offered to help… just send me a debugging version and I will send the log file back… it shouldn’t be hard to see where it is going into an endless loop and freezing or crashing… it is not just resources as they say…

I took advantage of todays extra hour to try and isolate the issue, but was unable to find any discernible patterns.
Things I noticed:
–The first device in a room list almost never crashes when opened, irrespective of it’s custom device status, icons, pictures or old vs new tile definitions.
–stock device types usually never crash when opened, whatever their ordering in the list.
–stock device types with the new tile definition structure open very quickly.
–migrating a custom device types tile to the new format, had no positive effect whatsoever on stability.
–changing the tile ordering section from a string list to a proper list ie: details “foo”,“bar” to details([“foo”,“bar”]) had no positive effect.
–There didn’t seem to be any crash worthiness differences based on device being virtual or not.

Things that I didn’t try but was curious about.
–The device icon list available from the API call was seriously pruned recently, many if not all of my custom devices use icons that are not shown via that API any longer…, they still work, but…

@Kristopher’s packet capture analysis regarding incomplete returns from ST is a bit concerning, this would indicate to me a cloud issue, and not an app issue…

Just as a caveat that might be a byproduct of the MITM decryption but I will spend more time on it tonight

Hello. After this update, Smartthings is no longer reporting back information from my CT100 thermostat. Changes I make to the temperature through the app UI seem to be going to the thermostat, but the UI itself is not reflecting the new temperature setting. I tried rebooting the hub, repairing the z-wave network and uninstalling/reinstalling the app, but no luck.