Alpha Opportunity: Browser-Based Web Portal

Cool, when can I get my hands on it. Re-configuring and testing everything after switching to new phone app is tedious

Thanks for this breath of hope, but, I am very concerned at the potential of a release to limited markets only at launch. Considering how long we here in the UK have waited, and are still waiting, for features such as SMART LOCK GUEST ACCESS, in the ā€œnewā€ app. I fear we will be waiting years.
On that point, is there lock management in the browser portal ?

Thanks
John

nope, but it does show mobile presence devices.

Would love it if you went public with the web portal (Sweden, EU) as my phone runs out of memory with the app so any way I can access it would be appreciated.

2 Likes

I couldnt agree more. The webapp is 1000x better than the ā€œnew appā€. Right now its the only thing holding me back from purchasing a hubitat hubā€¦

Iā€™m curious why the user experience is so different between the web app and ā€œnew appā€. Do different samsung groups own these products?

3 Likes

So lucky people who got in on the alpha get a better, faster experience than the ā€œnew appā€. :frowning:

Not really. The version I have access to still needs work.

1 Like

So does the new app.

4 Likes

Ha, fair point.

1 Like

I appreciate all the interest from everyone. Iā€™m sharing all of your requests with the people who can make decisions. One of the best ways to get priority on something is to have users asking for it.

Answers to some of the specific questions
But without promising anything

Iā€™m curious why the user experience is so different between the web app and ā€œnew appā€. Do different samsung groups own these products?

The two projects are owned by different groups (sort of, itā€™s complicated) but thatā€™s not the reason for the differences. Iā€™m assuming most of the difference youā€™re referring to is speed related. The reason for that is the web portal was built from scratch using fancy new APIs that make rendering super quick and easy. There is also a fair amount of API cleverness that is happening on the server side to make things even faster. The mobile app is moving in that direction but it is a much slower process for a bunch of technical reasons.

is there lock management in the browser portal ?

Not right now.

Hopefully voiceover will work well with it

Thatā€™s the goal. Iā€™m unfortunately not an expert in this area but accessibility is a focus.

So lucky people who got in on the alpha get a better, faster experience than the ā€œnew appā€.

The web portal isnā€™t intended to be a full replacement of the mobile app. While the eventual goal is to replicate much of the functionality the mobile app contains there will always be things that exist in one but not the other. Right now the web portal is missing a lot of the functionality available in the mobile app.

When it launches will it be region restricted

This is a little trickyā€¦ my intent is to not have it region restricted at all. Weā€™re working to be in compliance with GDPR, CCPA, and all the other privacy laws that keep coming up. Weā€™re also working on getting everything translated into a bunch of different languages.

Can I get access to the web portal?

Iā€™m sorry but at this point Iā€™m not allowed to give access to more users. Iā€™m still trying to get permission to do that as well.

11 Likes

How can the community help here? Should we be sending requests to support or is there another way for users to ā€œaskā€ so that it can reach the people making the decisions.

• I want the browser based SmartThing web app
  • I prefer the SmartThings mobile app
0 voters
8 Likes

I wonder what laws the UK will have when weā€™ve finally decided what weā€™re doing with the brexit aftermath :o

Something I really miss from my pre-SmartThings days on Iris, is the web portal EVENTS export to csv/xls . Iā€™m still having to fudge an events record in .xls by copying the Groovy IDE events screen to word then copying the word table to excel.
A .csv export would be brilliant!

Something I really miss from my pre-SmartThings days on Iris, is the web portal EVENTS export to csv/xls . Iā€™m still having to fudge an events record in .xls by copying the Groovy IDE events screen to word then copying the word table to excel.
A .csv export would be brilliant!

This isnā€™t something that my team is likely to build into the web portal. If itā€™s something youā€™re really wanting itā€™s probably worth looking into setting up an endpoint app that can log the events youā€™re interested in.

1 Like

@Dianoga where does the status of this web portal stand? Does it stand to be released to general users? Any timeline?

When is this going to be available? Might be a good idea to release in beta for whatā€™s left of the general public & maybe stop some bleeding among the use base.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see if the imminent sunset of the Classic app changes thinking about that. The new app is very demanding, and wonā€™t even install on a number of modern phones that actually meet the long standing memory and screen specs. Users who suddenly find they can no longer control their ST installations will be justifiably upset.

Iā€™ve never understood why ST ever went down the mobile app route, choosing to support multiple mobile apps on a subset of relative high spec phones, rather than supporting anything with a modern browser.

4 Likes

Have you looked at Simple event logger? Though per the last post from the developer, it might not be worth putting any time into it.

1 Like

I wish you guys would get everything on the same, stable platform. Right now my new app isnā€™t working with one of my locations, and neither is the new skill for Alexa. Everything works great in the classic app.

You can download all your device data from the new SmartThings app under the settings menu.