Alpha Opportunity: Browser-Based Web Portal

SmartThings is actively looking for users to alpha test and provide feedback for a new web portal that allows users to interact with SmartThings via a web browser.

Who should apply?

We are seeking a diverse group of users who are interested in actively using and providing feedback on an exciting new feature.

How do I apply?

If you are interested, please take a few minutes to complete this survey:

Alpha Test Application Form

What if I am selected?

If selected, you will be interacting with software that is incomplete. We work hard to avoid major issues, but itā€™s possible that things may break at any time. As a participant with early access, weā€™ll rely on you to help us identify issues so that we can improve our product. We appreciate your help, participation, and understanding as we work to make the SmartThings experience better.

Regards,

The SmartThings Community Team

31 Likes

Signed up do be a test dummy.

1 Like

same. :+1:

1 Like

Sounds great. I signed up. :+1:

1 Like

Done. Is there anything you can share about the web interface. Is that just a dashboad or an extension of the mobile app to configure apps/devices etc?

6 Likes

Iā€™m all signed up and ready to rock this thing!

2 Likes

I would describe it as a limited alternative to using the mobile apps for everyday use. It certainly doesnā€™t replace the mobile app but does provide a subset of the most common functionality.

9 Likes

I just signed up as wellā€¦

2 Likes

Signed upā€¦ Hope to get selectedā€¦

1 Like

+1 @Dianoga

At least at this point itā€™s limited, by intention as well. Weā€™re doing this alpha test to find out what will be useful to you guys to have on the web app.

9 Likes

Looking forward to it!

2 Likes

Signed up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Signed up. Interested to see how it compares to ActionTiles (which I love).

3 Likes

Thanks for the love, David!

Iā€™m presuming that this will be a useful portal for basic direct access to devices for quick view and control, but not have the customizability of ActionTiles (e.g., ActionTiles can have the same Thing on many Panels, and in all sorts of different Tile layouts, custom icons, custom color Themes, individual Tile PIN Protection, secure sharing at the level of Panel granularity, etc.). A lot of ā€œaverageā€ customers donā€™t need such power and customizability, but plenty still will.

Basic control in any browser is handy due to possibly faster load times, or for use where the App cannot be installed (FireOS, Linux, Windows), or - guessing here, where having the whole App installed could be a security risk or just create excess notifications and/or battery utilization.

Of course, of more value to everyone, would be the ability to create Automations & Scenes. While simple Automations & Scenes are not a problem on the mobile Apps; building more complex ones really would benefit from using desktop / laptop web browser.

5 Likes

Signed up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sure, why not. Itā€™ll save me from pulling out my phone at work all the time.

1 Like

I would be curious to see how it may work on some older hardware I have laying around. Add me to the list.

1 Like

Signed up as a test dummy.

1 Like

Itā€™ll will be interesting to see, if I am accepted of course. Iā€™ve long been baffled as to why SmartThings REQUIRES a mobile app to be usable, especially when the mobile apps are basically useless without an internet connection anyway, and in particular when the ā€˜newā€™ app has such a large memory requirement that Iā€™ve never even seen it despite my Samsung phone costing several times as much as the hub (fortunately the Classic app works fine). The mobile app as a virtual device I can get. The mobile app as the primary and effectively only UI I just donā€™t.

1 Like