AirThings Radon Detector

I just bought this and it’s been working quite well. It would be great if we could get this integrated into Smartthings.

2 Likes

Looks like it’s Bluetooth only, if so we’ll be waiting a long time for that integration to happen. Cool device though.

With the new dashboard on cloud coming out, is there a way to get data into Smartthings app for monitoring at the following

https://dashboard.airthings.com/

?

Appreciate any insight into this.

They still don’t have an API

There is a export option available on the dashboard, is there a possibility something can be built around that.

I just saw this dumb radon detector for $140 on deal of the day http://a.co/d/1nIMQ54

So I wondered if there were any smart ones and found this topic.

Airthings now advertises IFTTT and Alexa integration for the original $200 Wave, but not sure how that really works with only Bluetooth. I guess you could have a an old phone, tablet etc in the house to bridge Wave=> Bluetooth=>App=>WiFi=>Internet=>IFTTT . I asked their customer service rep via chat but they were completely clueless.

They also have a $269 WavePlus with more sensors and communicates via a yet to be released hub.

Just stumbled across this, they have a Python based Raspberry Pi Bluetooth integration for reading the sensors… http://airthings.com/raspberry-pi/

it has Bluetooth capability
Why the wait the locks work off it

Hi @Creimbold, ST may state that, like they did for the v2 hub, but Bluetooth has never been enabled. Any lock that works with ST is either zwave or zigbee, but not Bluetooth (yet).

That sucks is there a way to gain access to the hub like unlock the bootloader

Not that I know of, but I’m not sure what good that would do you anyway. All the underlying requirements to support BT devices would have to be built into the platform, local/cloud device types would have to be written, as well as a whole lot more that I can’t even think about right now.

There might still be hope, AirThings reports they’re working on a network connected hub. So there’d be a communications path. Still, they’d have to open up their API.

1 Like

I found these

1 Like

Is anyone using AirThings Radon detectors? They have an API & IFTTT now. Looks like you still need a BLE phone or RaspberryPi near the device to sync data to their cloud. Hub still not released.

The handheld/dumb version is on amazon deal of the day for $100

Hi, I have Airthings Wave Plus and Raspberry Pi setup… posting the data to MQTT and Telegraf/Influxdb subscriped to the MQTT, sending alerts with Kapasitor to Telegram. I am not really using the Airthings app at all anymore. Drawing the graphs with Grafana to my dashboard.

2 Likes

That looks nice Jevis, did you follow up some tutorial or are you able to share the tips? I just got my hands to this device and looking forward to get it working with Raspberry and Grafana as well. Next up would be to see if this integrates with Hassio at some point.

Hi, I actually moved a way from Smartthings, found it a bit limited to what I was trying to achieve. I am still using the Wave Plus with Rpi and MQTT though.

I initially followed this guide to set it up. The telegraf/influx/grafana learned on my own … pretty good tutorials on all how to get started, quite easy to set up.

hope this helps.

Thanks, I took a look but it seems that there are some connection stability problems that I am facing.
I need to overcome those first.

Well thats unfortunate, I’ve been running this in raspberry pi 4 b, which does also lots of other things, Home Assistant, Node-Red, InfluxDB, Grafana, NGIX, deCONZ and MariaDB … only problems I have had are related to deCONZ and occassionally Node-Red … but the waveplus-reader has been rock solid with starting automatically with cron job on boots when I’d had to do them, and running and reporting in the background, without me needing to interfere in anyway.

Hey I actually realized that I am doing

sudo python3 read_waveplus_mqtt.py … now I am starting to remember that I did do some change during installation.

I found some of my notes

Install Packages:

• sudo apt-get install python-pip libglib2.0-dev
  • sudo pip3 install bluepy==1.2.0
  • sudo apt-get install git
  • sudo pip install tableprint==0.8.0
  • sudo pip3 install paho-mqtt

Add to cron table

• sudo crontab -e
  • */5 * * * * sudo python3 /home/pi/waveplus-reader/read_waveplus_mqtt.py [serialnumber] [MQTT-IP-ADDR]
1 Like

Thanks for the notes, I’ll have a look and see if it gets me any further. I’m running deCONZ in HASSIO install on Raspberry Pi 4 b, and that has been working rock solid for me. Guess this is some sort of a trade-off…