Aeotec NanoMote Quad vs WallMote Quad

I have been struggling with the Aeotec Wallmote quad for some time, getting it to work reliably with my SmartThings (Classic) setup. I first set it up using the Aeon Wallmote DTH from Eric Maycock (erocm123). Basic ‘touch’ actions on each button worked as expected and that was good enough for a while.

Recently I’ve been trying to get it to work with the ‘hold’ action in addition to the simple ‘touch’ or ‘push’ action. What I’m seeing, in the API event list, is very inconsistent ‘held’ messages. I’ve been working with Aeotech customer support but not getting far. Basically, when I ‘touch’ a button, I consistently see:

Button no. 1 was pushed

But when I do a ‘held’ action (press, hold, release), I see one of TWO behaviors:

FIRST BEHAVIOR (GOOD):

Button no. 1 was down_hold
Button no. 1 was held

SECOND BEHAVIOR (BAD):

(the actual number of ‘down_hold’ messages varies from 1 to 10, but the key observation is - sometimes I get the final ‘held’, but othertimes, there is no final ‘held’. And without the final ‘held’, my programmed actions don’t work.

Aeotec support are telling me the multiple ‘down_hold’ events is normal, and I can buy that (depends on how long the button is held perhaps). But they cannot address the fact that the final ‘hold’ message is not there. The final ‘hold’ message is meant to correspond to the ‘release’ action (letting go of the button).

I tried switching over from Eric Maycock’s DTH to the ‘standard’ DTH - Z-wave Multi Button; with this you lose all the configuration options (color, beep on/off, etc) but essentially, it does not change the core problem above. I also tried an older DTH called ‘Aeotech Wallmote’ (as opposed to Eric’s ‘Aeon Wallmote’). No improvement in this area.

My Wallmote firmware is 2.3, by the way.

I then put a new Aeotec NanoMote Quad into service. It immediately defaulted to the standard ‘Z-Wave Multi Button’ driver, and I left it with that. When I tested the ‘hold’ actions, I see EXACTLY what I think I should see:

Button no. 1 was held

That is - ONE and only ONE ‘down_hold’, followed by one and only one ‘held’ - Consistently every time. and when I HELD buttons 1, 2, 3, 4 in sequence, I see

Button no. 1 was held
Button no. 2 was down_hold
Button no. 2 was held
Button no. 3 was down_hold
Button no. 3 was held
Button no. 4 was down_hold
Button no. 4 was held

So … the NanoMote Quad seems to be behaving perfectly, while the WallMote Quad is behaving badly.

Anyone else having any success getting ‘held’ actions to work consistently with the WallMote Quad?

Edit To Add - Eric Maycock’s custom DTH does give you access to a ‘hold mode’ option; I tried changing it from the default of ‘2’ to the alternate value of ‘1’. I believe ‘2’ is meant to send only 1 ‘down_hold’ message, while ‘1’ is meant to send unlimited ‘down-hold’ messages as long as the button is held, but I see basically the same behavior with ‘edit mode’ set to 1 or 2. I’ve been leaving it set to 2.