Aeotec Nano Dimmer with SPDT Momentary switch?

I have read that the Fibaro Dimmer 2 micro dimmer can be controlled by a SPDT (single-pole double-throw) momentary rocker switch. At rest the switch is centered and off. It can be pressed up or down but returns to off when pressure is removed, typical for a blind or up-down motor control. With the Fibaro Dimmer 2, tapping up turns on, tapping down turns off. Pressing and holding up dims up, holding down dims down. Does anybody know if the Aeotec Nano Dimmer can be wired and configured to work this same way? I’m trying to find a sensible switch to control the dimmer that has high WAF.

I got a response from Aeon Labs. You can obviously wire up a 3-level momentary like a 3-way switch, but up and down just do the same thing, so not really worthwhile to pursue that.

Hi Russell,

I seemed to have skipped over that question, I apologize for that. It is possible to use, but unfortunately S1 and S2 cannot specifically act as a always ON or always OFF, each connection will typically just toggle the Nano Dimmer based on its last state to the reverse state (so if OFF, it will turn ON even if you press the DOWN button of the rocker).

Both UP and DOWN states of the momentary rocker will toggle regardless of which button is pressed.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Cheers,
Chris Cheng
Field Application Engineer
Aeon Labs
On Mon, 29 Jan at 2:14 PM , wrote:
Any thoughts on whether a SPDT up/off/down momentary rocker switch can be used with the Nano Dimmer like it can with the Fibaro Dimmer 2?
Aeotec by Aeon Labs powered by Freshdesk 29993:247346

Unless you are looking for a low voltage device why not just use a GE or similar smart Dimmer switch? Up = on, Down = off, dim up and dim down. Double tap etc.

Because there is no neutral wire in that location, just line and load. I tried a Lutron Caseta dimmer there that doesn’t use neutral, but it buzzed to much to use in the bedroom despite trying 6 different types of LEDs. I swapped in a Fibaro Dimmer 2 with a SPDT Momentary switch, and it is awesome.

2 Likes

Did you ever have any luck with this? Trying to do the same and end up with old time buttons:

Yep! I used the Fibaro Dimmer 2 and it works great You should have no problem with buttons like that:
push up=on, hold-up=dim up, push down=off, hold-down=dim down
I could not do that with the Aeotec Nano Dimmer.