Single position light switch

I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what this type of switch would be called but here’s what I’m looking for. Something like a rocker switch that stays in a single position (either up or down) but you use it like a button. Press it once to turn the light on, press it again to turn the light off. It never actually “rocks” on and off. I know all the swart switches do this but I’m looking for dumb switches to use with relays. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

You’re looking for a momentary button.

Where are you located? Device recommendations will greatly vary depending on your region.

If you’re in the US, there are wall switches that do this. You can buy one or alternatively you can make your own.

1 Like

I reside in the southeast US. I don’t know much about momentary switches but I was under the impression when you pressed the button the power turns on but as soon as you let go the power is turned off. how does this work with smart relays?

That is how it works with, for example, garbage disposal’s. But it’s not the only way it Has to work.

So it always comes back to the first rule of home automation: the model number matters.

IF The relay is what is called a “latching“ relay then it will lock in place when it receives the pulse from the momentary button and it will stay on.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/357/105A_755-7090.pdf

in wall micros, like the Aeotec are designed for a similar physical action, although the internal mechanics are different. Press once to turn it on. Press a second time to turn it off. Note that although the OP in the following thread wants a double throw switch, he gets a response from Aeotec that theirs is actually just an alternating toggle.

Aeotec Nano Dimmer with SPDT Momentary switch?

So as long as you select the correct devices, this is pretty easy to find. :sunglasses:

Ok that does make sense. Watched a couple videos on latching relays. Are there any of these relays that use z wave and that anyone could recommend.

The ones I’ve seen (UK) are generally just called push on/off light switches. I’ve also seen them called dummy dimmers as they match rotary dimmers but are actually push on/off. Latching might also be an adjective used.

The other approach is to have the latching take place at the relay end and use a momentary button, but that’s arguably not something that would be marketed as a dumb light switch.

What’s the specific use case? And what country are you in (device selection does vary)?

US. Using them to control some recessed lighting in the kitchen, bedroom lights, living room recessed lights etc…

So why are you thinking of Relays instead of dimmers? And what’s the voltage on the lights?

If i understand right, you are looking for a switch that will stay closed or open after each push to connect to a simple relay. These are sometimes referred to as “Maintained Contact” switches.

If you want a momentary switch I can recommend this one:

However, momentary switches only have 2 positions not three like you are asking.

So normally “open”. Can click to cause action, let go. There is only click in one directtion.

I am using this momentary switch in a 3-way with zooz to get on and off and dimming. Dimming does work from the momentary by holding down the momentary switch to get the desired dimming. What is confusing at first, is that there is no “on and off” just a click or click and hold. The click or click and hold behavior depends on the curent state.

My thought process is some of the switches I would like to be smart but others to be dumb but all to look uniform. I looked into using micro relays on the currently installed dumb switches but I realized that the position of the switch would no longer be indicative of whether it’s on or off. For instance, in the bedroom we have 3 toggle switches. If they are all in the up position then they are all uniformly on and vice versa. If using a relay behind them then up wouldn’t necessarily be on nor down would be off. But if using a rocker style “push button” switch then it would always be in the same position whether light is on or off.