Adding "personal devices" to a room (and other stuff)

Hello everyone… I am new to SmartThings and to the forum. I have been mostly successful in linking my (mostly Samsung) devices to SmartThings… But I am having trouble with one in particular… an older Samsung smart TV. I am actually able to add the device from within SmartThings, but it is designated as a “personal device” - and in order for it to work correctly, I must create an entry in IDE for the same device using the “Unique ID” that corresponds to that TV. When both entries exist, I can control the TV as if from a remote - turn it off, volume, etc… anything you can do with the remote except turn it on… But the TV is characterized as a personal device, and I am unable to assign it to a room. Another symptom of the problem is that this device does not work unless I create a second device within IDE using the “Unique ID” specified for that device in the Smart Hub fields. The entry created by the IDE does not offer any remote functions, and while it says I can turn it off, it does not respond. The one that I created from within SmartThings can be accessed and controlled, but if I delete the IDE-created device, I lose the functionality. So in order for it to work, SmartThings must have two entries for the same device. If I delete the IDE device the other entry stops working. If I recreate it, it starts working again.

Any suggestions? Keep in mind I am technically inclined, but new to all of this SmartThings stuff.

Thanks!

Hey there! @wigi49, Welcome to the Community! :slight_smile: I’d be happy to provide some troubleshooting steps for your specific model to try.

What is the Model Code of the Samsung TV that you are having issues with? Is it connected via Ethernet or WIFI? You can locate the Model code within the support settings menu of your TV.

The first thing I wanted to mention that you may find very helpful is that “Personal Devices” are Directly Connected Bluetooth Devices shown in the First Card of your Devices Tab. These devices are unable to be assigned to a room at this time. This leads me to believe that the TV has not been onboarded properly as it would show as an assignable device to be added to a room and ‘placeholder’ in IDE vs a Directly Connected Bluetooth Device only appearing personal device in the ST App. Once I have the model code, I’ll be able to check it with my list of supported models.

In the meantime, you can also review the thread in full where two other community members were able to resolve this concern using the trouble steps I provided in that thread: Samsung tv cannot be assigned to a room

Summary of the steps: Delete the TV from Directly Connected Devices, log out of your Samsung Account on the TV and then factory resetting the TV, logging in with your Samsung Account, accepting terms and attempting to add it to Smart Things using any of the three methods of Model code, Automatically Detected New Device Pop-up, Scan for nearby ready to be connected devices.

The steps for the Factory Reset on older models can be found:
Hard Reset - Located under Settings>Support>Self Diagnosis>Restore all TV settings to factory defaults.

I hope this message finds you well!

^SamsungZell

1 Like

The model code is UN32J5500.

I did what you suggested (I think). I deleted the existing entries from SmartThings, I reset the TV, logged in, (renamed it something distinctive) and then added the device back by telling ST that I was looking to add a Samsung TV. It found it quickly and added it… but it tells me that it is connected directly to my phone and is listed as a “personal device”.

I don’t really care if it is assigned to the room; I just want to be able to address it (or more specifically, turn it off) from Alexa.

I am reading the thread you suggested, but I am not 100 percent sure I am following it. I will keep at it.

I can see how this is problematic if the device sending the command is my phone. I am using the TV (along with two other TVs) as monitors, and I would like to be able to turn them off with a single voice command (ideally). What I am doing now is using three separate remotes to control them, which is a pain.

Any other suggestions?

Thank you for confirming the model code. I was able to review that information and I see that the J5500 series is not listed as a supported model certified in the US. Not all smart features are available and vary by TV model.

The step of selecting Brand(Samsung) > TV (Your Selection) > Supported devices(Device List) - J5500 is not listed. This leads me to believe that your model is only available as a Directly Connected model due to non-certification and only connecting Directly as a Bluetooth device.

Unfortunately, this means that you would not be able to achieve placement into a room, or control the device for automation or scenes as Directly Connected Devices do not have that option.

Additionally, the TV would not be seen as a device and would not be synced to Alexa App Integration.

^SamsungZell

My 65" Samsung UHD was connected and had Volume, channel up/dn, power, as well as a couple other commands working from Google nest and was assigned to the Living room in ST. I accidentally deleted the tv from the ST app and now it will only show up in directly connected devices and not able to assign to a room. I tried the " delete from directly connected devices, sign out of Samsung acct on TV, reset to factory, with no luck. One thing seems different, there is no reset all setting to factory default in the support/self diagnosis screen. There is a reset to factory in the general menu just not where all the threads say a hard reset is. Any ideas? Like I said, it was working perfectly and assigned to living room before I accidentally deleted it.

I should let you know after the factory reset, it starts setting up when the TV prompts to download the ST app. It gets to registering and stays there forever and then just says something went wrong and the TV makes you finish set up with the remote.

Model code 6900.

Hey there! @HerbT, Welcome to the Community! :slight_smile: Thank you for providing me with the troubleshooting steps that you have already attempted from the previous discussions. I understand how frustrating it can be to accidentally delete something you meant to keep, lets dive a little deeper into your concerns.

One thing seems different, there is no reset of all settings to factory default in the support/self-diagnosis screen. There is a reset to factory in the general menu just not where all the threads say a hard reset is.

The steps list using the Self-diagnosis screen to reset in your model’s user manual, have you checked for or received any recent firmware updates lately?

Here is a link to the Manual for your television:https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202011/20201116153100517/KM2ATSCN-3.1.0_EM_Kant-M2_USA_ENG_201023.0.pdf

Here is a link to the article for resetting on newer model televisions: Samsung TV factory reset and self diagnosis tools

Your 2018 Model UN65NU6900 is listed as a supported model, which is why you had volume, channel, power, voice commands working with Google, and were able to assign the device to a room in ST. Directly connected devices show when connected via Bluetooth.

1. Have you ensured that the device that you are using the Smart Things Application on is NOT paired and has been forgotten as a Bluetooth Source? (You can add as Bluetooth after setup)

2. What is the full software version listed as being run on the TV? Settings>About TV?

3. Which method are you attempting to use to onboard the device into the Smart Things Application? By model code, brand, or scanning nearby for ready devices?

^SamsungZell

SamsungZell,
Are you aware of any indications that suggests smartthings will work with other TV brands? I have a Hisense GOOGLE TV I would like to add to my automations but it’s slated in my personal devices as well.

Cheers,
EBF