Adding a new User in app v2

Best most accurate summation, I’ve read here in a long time. Thanks Brian!

8 Likes

Having been a voyeur for most of the duration this has been going on I thought I’d throw my comment in. From a uk point of view it’s annoying that we are so far behind the us in terms of ha. I get that I haven’t invested anywhere as much as some of you guys and I’m not quite old enough to remember a commodore plus 4. I’ve spoken to st support and they’ve been quick at providing feedback and yes it is frustrating that we cant add users really frustrating. I watched on like an excited school boy that you had st in the us and when it came out here I convinced my oh that it was the future (sold on the alarm and user part) for it to fail miserably is disheartening and did result in and argument with our retailer. My option was to wait until it’s fixed or persevere. Which when my kids say they like getting up in the night to go to the toilet and the lights come on automatically is great for them. The simple things it does is brilliant the potential is great, but as yet I don’t see there is one single platform that will fix everything. Some of the technology is all show but where st excels is the integration with other devices. I hate Samsung with a passion but as st is the only real platform that will do what I want I have no real alternative. I can’t wait for it to be resolved and arguably like everyone has said it shouldn’t have taken this long and should have been tested thoroughly but who can test for a human doing something that a geek doesn’t expect. Think like a geek and the system works great, think like a human and we will find bugs. When I’ve moaned st have wanted to listen and try to help whilst the major fubar is going on. That’s customer service. Sure we would all like something for our inconvenience but what we get is technology that will always do something that it shouldn’t. We all knock Apple as the restrict things but if you restrict it you control it. St is flexible as hell.

Now hurry up and fix the bloody thing so my other half doesn’t keep setting off the alarm and moaning at me. Oh and keep up the great work because despite the obvious fault st is amazing.

3 Likes

First off thank you for the response it was great, I do appreciate the time and effort and understand some of the complications/risks involved and how you weigh those against the transparency.

So from there I can digress:

I’m in no way trying to tell anyone how to manage a company, it is not my company. I’m offering a suggestion, you place more on risk of doing (so it isn’t done) as I do on reward of doing (so I ask it be done but I’m not getting paid to do it). That is fine I call this the congressional model.

That being said two things came out of the explanation. One is it makes sense, you have concrete and valid reasons for not publishing bugs and also for not seeking customer data from what appears to be a small subset of a small subset (not statistically significant). The response is well thought out, carefully crafted and I appreciate the time it took to form it. I understand not every idea is a good idea (as opposed to someone here who is destructive and now blocked and thinks no idea is a good idea) but the point is idea’s come from everywhere all around us and they come all the time (not just 2pm on a Tuesday from a pre-selected customer in Iowa). When someone says I’m throwing my hub in the trash (most people dismiss that as hogwash), this is a voice of frustration with no support. Samsung can’t come to their house and troubleshoot the issue I get it, but someone has to ask why they feel this way and what can be done about it. The thing about the vocal few is although sometimes misguided the root of their point often results from a single issue that picks up steam because the masses feel the same way and provide some support.

That being said I’m a realist, I want the company to succeed, I’m truly routing for you everyday. This is a disruptive technology on the forefront of something great. Someday soon these issues will seem like child’s play and will turn into things like my car keeps parking at my neighbors house and my hub scheduled my yearly checkup for 1:00 pm but that is when I watch As the World Turns?

I guess the point (yeah a little too late) is keep chugging along as you were, but never stop listening and learning.

1 Like

I’m 43 years old. I can visualize my grand children complaining to me that their car keeps parking at the neighbors house. Lol. Technology, it’s amazing!

4 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Time based events failing?

Unfortunately many people reporting problems in the last week, both IOS AND android users. See:

Report it to support.

I bought the biggest kit they had when I started out and was happy with it. I have since added quite a bit more. I have one door with almost $400 worth of zwave locks on it.

I have a 16 year old Crown Vic with over 200,000 miles on it. I wish my ST was even half as reliable.

Yet it too is a retired model replaced by a model not as reliable

…sound familiar?

Many people reporting random problems with modes in time based events. Things like two out of three time based events running, but the other one not. See the following thread.

Can someone please clarify if the events problem recently raised is related to users at all? I am going to guess no. All I know is that a) no update on users for Android and b) yes, scripts such as unlock entry and simply turning on lamps have gone wonky this passed week. When I turn my living room lights on, my door unlock sends an SMS.

Not related to anything any user set up. Support says “platform hiccups”

Users can try two things:

One) unplug the hub, remove the batteries, and leave it off for 15 minutes. Then restore power.

1. Open any routine/smartapp that failed, make any minor change, resave it, open it again, change it back to the parameters you actually want, save it again. That should restart the schedule for that individual rule. But don’t do this until after you’ve done step one

Those two steps may help, but they are not a permanent solution, as many of us have had the problem go away and come back multiple times over the last week.

1 Like

I have no problem doing this but the problems extend past scheduled/time events. My lights do not turn on with motion and when they do some turn on at a low dim while others the way their supposed to. Lights based on motion turn on without a motion trigger. Routines run manually do not do what they are supposed to do. Alarm says it is disarmed but then goes off when I open an external door. I have to refresh the app by closing it and starting it back up for mode changes and some light status’.

Now I understand I don’t know how things are programmed however I don’t see some of these issues being related to a timing issue.

Some are, some aren’t. It may be that all reflect some kind of database corruption on the account, in which case it could be any kind of problem anywhere.

One guy has log entries for a “dining room sensor” and he doesn’t even have a dining room.

Update:

Android 2.0.4 is a point release with bug fixes. This does not include fixes for location sharing. We tried to shove it in but it just wasn’t going to be a good experience.

All hands on deck right now for location sharing on the Android team.

3 Likes

got new app 2.0.4 android…

1. hanging issue still there even after complete remove and reinstall
  2. still no feature to add new users… still says coming soon. (not supprising as I am sure support priority is currently the events not firing or time being corrupted)

Ahhh, I love being an Early Adopter and living on the bleeding edge!

There is always room for improvement…

Ben stated on Sept 27 that it would be released later that week. That would have been 5 working days. It’s now been 20 working days. How could an estimate of the remaining work be off by a factor of 4X (at least!)?

Are you new here? :neutral_face: … multiply all SmartThings estimates by 4x … at least.

They actually are getting better at doing the wise thing and never publishing a date. They should also never see “soon”, “before the end of the year”, “in a few weeks”, “in the next release”, … and so on.

1 Like

Too many things got off track that they had to push this one down the list. They did say that it was ready, but didn’t feel like it would be well received. That’s probably the last thing they need, right about now, like they don’t have enough features that don’t work right.

2 Likes