A fix for unreliable device/smartapp/routine?

I have a Smart Lighting Function that turns off my backyard lights each night at 9:15 each night. It turns off 3 sets of Osram Lights (zigbee) and three Z-Wave Lights.

The Osram lights always give me trouble (I even added a ST Zigbee plug to boost the signal to the Osram devices) meaning I will awake in the morning to find one of the Osram Gardenspots still on.

I have no idea why this is occurring because sometimes it works flawlessly and it is never the same light that refuses to turn off. Oh BTW I have the same trouble when the lights are to come on at sunset each day.

As a workaround I created a second smart lighting app to turn off the lights again at midnight, but this does not solve the problem either as I suspect ST will not turn off a light that ST believes is off (and yes the ST app and the live event both show the command was sent and the light is off).

Question: How can I fix this and/or what is the problem?

This is a myth … but, well, not been proven either way.

If any “command()” is sent to a Device Handler, nearly every device handler will execute the command regardless of the State of the Device.

So in theory… if I send command(off) to ‘Backyard Lights’ and the lights are off according to ST, but blazing brightly the command should execute?

That’s great… except the system is behaving unreliably.

1 Like

Yes.

The most common complication is that many user-interface controllers (i.e., the native mobile SmartThings App, a Minimote, SharpTools, SmartTiles, etc.) all use “toggle” as their user interaction method; thus, if the controller incorrectly believes the lights are off, it takes at least 2 taps instead of one to get the real lights off.

I actually find controller reliability (i.e., I have to double-press Minimote buttons, like, every day) to be much more annoying than SmartApp issues … well, because I don’t use very many SmartApps at this time because they are so unreliable. Sigh.

1 Like

I think that Sharptools uses on/off commands in its interface. At least it does for my GE dimmer switches. If a light is off and I press off, the lights stay off (same with on). @joshua_lyon would know better than me.

Not a myth–an artifact.

It provably used to work that way, at least in routines. It would say “X was already in that state.” I had several discussions with support about it. (As well as screenshots last summer.)

It provably no longer works that way. :sunglasses:

I’m not sure exactly when it changed, but it has changed, perhaps as part of the Echo integration ( since the previous method ran into synch issues).

1 Like

When configuring a widget or Tasker action, you have the option to choose what action you want to take. The list defaults to toggle and this is a very reasonable approach for widgets that display state, but you have the option to change this to on, off or use setLevel to dim to a specific level.

For the main SharpTools UI, the commands are broken out into discrete on / off commands for regular switches and include a slider for dimmable devices (as well as other custom ‘cards’ for different device types).

4 Likes