[2021] Ikea Battery Powered Devices Roundup

I am very confused. :thinking: I know that the IKEA Tradfri lightbulbs and plug-in pocketsockets work out of the box with smartthings.

But it seems that over the last two years the status of the battery powered Devices has kept changing. Originally they required custom code, then there were stock DTHs for them, then IKEA updated the firmware for some models and they no longer worked, then a custom DTH didn’t work with the new V3 app, and now I have no idea where we are on these. :scream:

If you know the status of a specific model of the battery powered devices, in particular whether it works with the new V3 app and whether it requires custom code to do so, please post.

Also, please be very specific about the model number and, if known, the firmware level, since these seem to make a very real difference.

Devices currently being sold include the five button remote,

The one button square Dimmer:

The fyrtur handheld controller which comes with the blinds:

Ikea shortcut button. Some people have this working, but others report they can get it paired but can’t include it in automations.

Thanks!

1 Like

I am actually using the using the stock dth for the multi-button and the button and they work fine.

Multi-button

Button:

Not really sure if that is the device firmware. Let me know if you need anything else.

1 Like

I am using the E1743 Tradfri On/Off Switch, marketed as the Wireless Dimmer in the UK. It is the one marked with 0 and 1. The mechanism is essentially a two position rocker switch.

Two of my buttons shows their ‘firmware version’ as 0x22008631 in the IDE and the remaining larger number show 0x22010631.

It joins as an ‘Ikea Remote Control’ using the Ikea Button handler. In SmartThings it is a multi-component device. The main component has a Button capability reporting ‘pushed’ and ‘held’ on buttonNumber 1 and 2. The individual components also have the Button capability and each reports ‘pushed’ and ‘held’ on buttonNumber 1.

In the mobile app Details View it appears as two component buttons, each with Quick Controls, and a main component that just shows the battery level with the Button capability ignored. In the Automations conditions it again shows as a battery level and two component buttons. In the dashboard, details view and automations there is a ‘Standby’ state that is created artificially to represent an inactive state. This does not correspond to a an attribute value.

Legacy apps can access the device as either a single button using the additional buttonNumber 1 or 2 data, or as two individual single button devices.

1 Like

So does that work with automations created through the + in the upper right corner of the home screen, or only through smart lighting and Webcore?

Some additional information crossed with this post.

Legacy apps can see three different devices. The main device has a single button attribute but the additional buttonNumber 1 or 2 data is available for those apps that recognise it (e.g. Smart Lighting or webCore). The two component devices are also available as single buttons (the buttonNumber is there but is always 1).

Automations see the button as a device with two component buttons. They do not see the Button capability in the main component and would not recognise the buttonNumber even if they did as that is a legacy thing.

1 Like

Does the multi button work with automations you create using the + in the upper right of the home screen, or only with the smartlighting feature and Webcore?

You guys are forgetting the symfonisk controller

2 Likes

Does it work with SmartThings?

Yes i only use the smartthings automations. No smartlighting no webcore. I can provide screenshots

1 Like

It can work with smartthings or hubitat with custom code, but not out of the box.

1 Like

That would be great, thanks! :sunglasses:

here’s what’ i’m using for Ikea remotes with success. all using the standard ST DTH:

1. TRADFRI open/close remote (comes with Fyrtur shades)
    Model: E1766 (i think?)
    Firmware: 0x22010631

2. Tradfri 5 button remote
    Model: E1810
    Firmware: 0x23014631

3. Tradfri 5 button remote
    Model: E1524
    Firmware:0x11115720

1 Like

Shame the ikea button dimmer doesn’t run locally, especially with the new local rules on the way.

There’s also another newer ikea shortcut button but I don’t have one myself yet.

1 Like

Multiple people reporting that the new shortcut button has issues:

1 Like

I have had number of the square On/Off buttons running over 6-8 months, however I have discarded all 8 of them as the batteries are now going flat within several weeks to several days. Tried several different brand name batteries. Have tested to prove the batteries are flat - less then 2v. The same discharge occurs whether the button is directly oposite the hub or downstairs some distance away. Usage ranges from once per week to twice a day for the closest ones.

1 Like

Have you checked the firmware version? You sometimes see that kind of behavior when a device is due for a firmware update and it keeps trying to do it over and over but for whatever reason never completing it. That can run the battery down pretty quickly. This is in particular often a reason when you have several devices of the same model that suddenly show the same issue with battery life. (that, or they were all using the same zigbee parent and it was removed from the network.)

1 Like

The firmware version (Australia) on most was 0x22010631.
Does the updating occur thru ST?
I tried to use update lonk on the IDE device page but nothing at all seemed to happen.
Any idea how I would know;
What firmware version is “current”?
How I could tell if it was continuosly trying to update, hadnt noticed anything strang in the Ide?
Have now removed all 9 from service.
PS the battery reserve has generally been getting worse over several months.

1 Like

I understand you guys may want a button to control some automations or scenes but if you are after controlling the lights only and you have hue bridge, one of the option would be connecting the Ikea wireless dimmer (and Ikea light bulbs) to hue bridge I am doing this instead to control a Ikea light bulb and never had any issue with battery life for months and the added bonus is when internet is down I can still control the light bulb, basically the remote is paired to the bulb directly but on the same zigbee network as hue bridge so I can control using the hue bridge app as well
I have the 5 button remote as well but still on the original box thinking of pairing to hue bridge next as it seems there is still uncertain issue with ST hub,
I am unable to check my current firmware level of wireless dimmer

https://redsilico.com/blog/ikea-tradri-remote-with-hue-hub

1 Like

The firmware version (Australia) on most was 0x22010631.
Does the updating occur thru ST?
I tried to use update lonk on the IDE device page but nothing at all seemed to happen.
Any idea how I would know;
What firmware version is “current”?
How I could tell if it was continuosly trying to update, hadnt noticed anything strang in the Ide?
Have now removed all 9 from service.
PS the battery reserve has generally been getting worse over several months.

The update only works over Ikea hub as far as I understand someone with the Ikea hub should be able to tell the latest firmware I don’t know if Ikea publishes such