2 hubs in 1 house. Created virtual sensor. IFTTT question

Hey

I have a second hub (v2) in my home (cheap, picked it up $50!) to connect with a few far-away ST multipurpose sensors. So now I have 2 locations: home1 and home2. I created a simulated/virtual sensor in home1 via IDE. All I want to do is this: if a real door in home2 is open, I want the virtual sensor in home1 to say it is also open.

I installed IFTTT. I authorized successfully the virtual sensors in home1 and the real sensors in home2. Then, I go to IFTTT my applet, choose “IF THIS”, then I choose “Opened”, but on the drop down list of devices, I only see sensors in home1. Why are home2 devices not showing up?

Another issue: I tried to test this virtual/real sensors linkage within home1 just to test. I go to my applet, choose “IF THIS”, then I choose “Opened”, from drop-down list i choose a real sensor from home1, click on “THAT”, search Smartthings app, then i see a list of actions but no “Opened” or something like that - if i choose “Switch on” or “unlock” there are no sensors listed there. So basically, even if i get home2 sensors to show up in the list, how do i actual link them ?

Thank you so much!!!

Getting two hub locations to play nicely together can be tricky.

This post in the community wiki explains how it can work.

http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Automate_an_Outbuilding

3 Likes

I find IFTTT has too much delay. I switch over to Stringify and quite happy with it.

2 Likes

Hi . Just downloaded and setup stringify per your suggestion . I was able to add to my device list both the virtual sensor from home1 and the real sensor from home2 .

When I go “create flows”, I added both things, starting with the real sensor, set this trigger “when this opens” , but then it refuses to create a flow to the virtual sensor — i get this message: “must connect a thing with trigger, with thing with action”. When i click to set up my virtual sensor, I only get trigger options, not action options . Do you know why that is? Can you please provide a step by step instruction please :wink: ?

The reason is because you need to add a trigger to one device and an action for another device before you can connect them. When you first create a flow with devices. Just click on the device and you will see the trigger and action on top of the screen. I usually use the device on the left as trigger and a device on the right as action.

Edit : sorry, I wasn’t reading it carefully enough to realize you are talking about a simulated contact sensor and not simulated switch. You cannot use simulated contact sensor with Stringify. Thank you @JDRoberts

thank you. I do not see the options “triggers” and “actions” at the top… So should i go to IDE, and change the device type from “simulated sensor” to “simulated switch” ? This whole exercise is for the ST Multipurpose Sensors

thank you. I had checked out this wiki, but unfortunately it doesn’t answer my issue of not being able to load the devices from home2 into IFTTT. I was able to see them and authorize these devices, but they didnt show up in my device dropdown list in IFTTT.

Also do you have any views on my second point, which is a test to do this within home1 (ie both virtual and real device are in home1)?

I am doing approximately this with my garage door. That is chamberlain reporting to SmartThings, but the concept would be similar.

In my configuration, the Chamberlain opener reports open/closed status to an android tablet via the usual notification process. AutoNotification, running in Tasker, reads any notifications coming from the Chamberlain app. Then, using sharptools, Tasker acts in SmartThings to tell me, via the simulated garage sensor, whether the garage is open or closed.

You could have your ‘remote’ ST hub send notifications via SMS.
You would need an Android control tablet, plus the following apps:
Tasker
Sharptools
AutoNotification
Some sort of SMS app (I use google hangouts)

Sharptools would log in to the account of your primary ST hub.

1 Like

Thanks for calling this out. The following has now been added to that article:

At the present time, SmartThings does not expose multiple locations to either IFTTT or echo, which is why you have to set up two separate SmartThings accounts. If you just have them set up as two locations on one SmartThings account, IFTTT will only have access to the devices from one of them, and you won’t be able to pick which one.
The same problem occurs with echo devices. SmartThings has [said they hope to change this in the future], but for now you need to set up a separate account for each hub if you want to use these outside services.

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/en-us/articles/207808076-Amazon-Alexa-SmartThings-FAQ#Locations

So the short answer is that if you are using IFTTT or echo you will only be able to access one of your locations.

The workarounds given in the wiki article will work. You can set up each hub as its own SmartThings account with its own IFTTT account and communicate between them by text or email, although that could add a lot of lag.

You can use a Hue bridge as a “man in the middle” as long as both hubs use the same ethernet network, as SmartThings does allow you to add one hue bridge to two locations.

Or you can use webcore and set up proxy devices. That also introduces some additional lag, and is quite a bit of work to set up, but it can be done.

1 Like