Virtual switches in Home monitor

Hi folks, I’ve had a good look through the forum and couldn’t find anything that answers my question.

I have a couple of door sensors from before I started my smartthings journey.

I have them set as virtual switches so can see their status but I was wondering if there is a way of including them in the home monitor setup?

Thanks in advance

Have you tried using a Simulated Contact Sensor instead of a virtual device? This may give you what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance but how do I do that?

On the classic app the only options I have for a virtual device are switch or dimmer switch?

Cheers

If you login to IDE over at https://account.smartthings.com/ and then go into your devices page, you can then create a Simulated Contact Sensor that will show up as a thing. Just give it a name, make up a device ID that doesn’t replicate any others, select your hub/location. Label, zigbee ID, and group can all be left blank. You can then use this device to open or close based on whatever you’re using and thus allowing you to add it into SHM. Just out of curiosity, how are you controlling the virtual device now?

I thought I had the virtual switches paired up via IFTTT to reflect the state of the Smart Life door sensors, however after checking them they don’t appear to reflect the correct state and the activity logs on them are way off.

I’ve tried a virtual contact sensor but it doesn’t seem to connect up to anything, possibly got a step wrong somewhere?

You have to set up a rule for it. You should select it in the Automations/SmartApp section by clicking IFTTT and then the sensor. It will not show up in IFTTT until you do this.