New House, New to ST, old ADT alarm (DSC)

Smartthings can’t talk to the sensors directly. You have to set up an alarm server. See the following thread for other people who have been working on it:

All of that said, it’s important to understand that SmartThings is a cloud-based system and while it’s exceptionally versatile, it’s not particularly reliable. It does not meet my own personal requirements for a security system for that reason. Since last October I have yet to go 10 days without an impactful SmartThings failure and I have a very simple system.

The company is very aware of the reliability issues and has committed to making that a top priority, but they made that a public statement back in April and have continued to have several major outages since.

Also, you should be aware that SmartThings pushes out firmware updates to your hub that can take your system off-line for anywhere from 15 minutes to a few hours. Sometimes they give us a few days notice for that, sometimes not, but you cannot freeze your system or refuse the updates. Updates just happen, even if they break your system. Or come at an inconvenient time.

Finally, unlike most security systems, there is no option for notifications when the Internet is down. In fact you can’t even use the mobile app on your phone when the Internet is down even if your local Wi-Fi is still working. Everything goes through the cloud first except for a few local lighting applications And a little bit of the official security feature. My own requirements are that a security system be able to notify using cellular even if both Internet and local power is out. Smartthings does not meet that requirement.

When SmartThings works as intended, it is absolutely my favorite home automation system, but so far they don’t have the reliability that I would require from a security system so I use an entirely separate system for that.

But of course everyone has their own priorities for peace of mind, and it may be that you find SmartThings meets your own requirements. Just look carefully into all the details, it may not work the way you would expect.