Zooz ZEN22 2.0 z-wave plus dimmer switch- initial review

that would be better asked in the device handler thread. Last i heard is SmartThings depreciated the code that was used to detect double tap on switches that don’t natively support it.

So the GEs can’t do that anymore either?

HomeSeer the only remaining option?

it’s been a while since i looked, but iirc, the GE z-wave plus has double tap, but not the older regular z-wave models.

Doesn’t seem like it.

It does according to the certification
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2501/assoc?noFilename=True

This is the switch, not the dimmer. Does it say the same for the dimmer?

sure, i’ll do the leg work for you
https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/2105/assoc?noFilename=True

1 Like

I just ordered two of these, I will see if I can explore this option. I guess not natively using ST?..

would probably need a custom device handler. I would be surprised if someone hasn’t already written one.

After having success replacing my dimmer with this switch, I tried to install another zooz dimmer switch on a 3 way setup for my kitchen pot lights, but without success.

I tried to hook it up as option 2 in the instruction manual as my line and load are in different box. I tried to replace the zooz switch on switch B (below) and add another neutral connecting zooz switch to the grouped neutral. For switch A, I tried to connect the load with the white wire. After the connection, I am able to control the light with zooz switch (new A) but the existing 2 way switch (A) can not turn on/off the light.

Here are my existing switches setup:

Switch A:

Switch B:

I’ve verified the charges pass through red traveller correctly, though when I put charge on the black wire (non power) on switch B, I see charges on the white wire on switch A? I am not sure what kind of setup I have after looking at https://www.easy-do-it-yourself-home-improvements.com/3-way-switch-wiring-diagram.html, can I still install zooz with this setup?

Thanks in advance for the help! :slight_smile:

do the 3 wires on switch A go straight to the romex and out of the box?

yep, all come from a single left most romex

it looks like you have option 3 or 4 on that website. would have to look in the box for the fixture to verify.

I suspect I have option 3 as well, and looking at it again and comparing to the photos I have, I am pretty sure I am indeed having option 3. Would I still able to use this dimmer with this setup? And if so, how should I proceed with the connections?

yeah, you can. you would put the Zooz switch in Switch B. But then you would have to get in the light fixture and connect the black load wire to the fixture. Then cap both ends of the black wire between the fixture and switch A and connect the neutral from switch A to the neutral at the fixture.

I see, thanks. I was hoping I don’t have to mess with the fixture’s box. :sweat_smile:

Any way to have the auxiliary switch in a 3 way work as a dimmer as well? Are any of the generic auxillary dimmers compatible?

I don’t think so

I can’t figure out what i’m doing wrong with this switch…

I’ve installed the Zooz in a 3-way setup, replacing the main switch with the zooz and leaving the secondary switch as the dumb switch.

Is the secondary “dumb” switch supposed to work independently of the zooz? When I flip the switch on it the power is killed to the lights and it prevents the Zooz from working correclty. Other times, when I flip the switch two times, the lights will come on, then immediately dim down to zero.

Does this sound like a wiring issue? Is there something wrong with the zooz? Is this expected?? The zooz works fine when the secondary switch is turned on.

The Main Switch has a black, white, red wire and I used the included extension wire to add to a group of white wires, which I believe is the neutral. The secondary has a black, white, red wire.

Sounds like it’s wired wrong. Show a pic of you other switch.