Zooz ZEN22 2.0 z-wave plus dimmer switch- initial review

Here’s the other switch.

dcc5394b39f507cb5ea87e7ea3c3e1fb369e3b9d_1_375x500

looks at the wiring diagram closer. You aren’t supposed to have a black wire on the dumb switch.

hmm. does this mean I should cap it off or am I out of luck?

no, it’s used. look at the wiring diagrams that came with the switch.

Thanks for your help @Automated_House. Unfortunately I’m still stumped. The diagram that came with the switch doesn’t seem to use the black wire on the secondary switch.

I don’t know why there would be a black wire in the secondary switch box.

Trying to find my setup here and can’t:

Is your Line in the same box as your Load or separate?

Sorry guys - I’ve been reading through this thread but am fairly new to wiring 3-Way switches. I have several other Zooz switches and dimmers in the house but this is the first 3-way.

Here is what I have.

Both existing 3-Way switches have the same three wires - traveller, neutral, and line or load. I think I know which is line and load, but both Zooz diagrams have two black wires going to the Zooz switch…and I only have one in each box.

I’m sure I’m missing something. Thanks I’m advance for your help!

The other pic will not upload for some reason. Tried several times and nothing. So I’ll just say that the wires are exactly the same as the previous pic.

From what I see in the boxes I’d say it’s option #7 in the easy wiring site. Ideas?

If you only have 3 wires connected to each switch, it means your direct connection to power line is actually by the light fixture so there is no way to wire the Zooz in that set-up. You need to have line (going directly to power) with neutral in one of the boxes to use the Zooz switches.

Has anyone tried the new Smartthings App? My Zooz22 doesn’t work on it, which I find strange as still works fine with the old app. The HUE lights work fine on both. I’m wondeeign if I’m the only one experiencing this. I would think the backend is the same and it should still work on both apps.

custom device handlers don’t work in the new app. And some of my standard GE z-wave dimmers don’t show up either. Support said to follow the communication and continue to use the Classic app

1 Like

Our guess is that it will take a while before (if) the new app catches up to the existing one in terms of compatibility. It’s still not clear if SmartThings will keep an open platform to community contributions or if it will steer towards certified integration instead, like Wink or Nexia, which would obviously turn it into a super limited platform.

3 Likes

I’m kind off happy I’m not the only one. So far it doesn’t bug me because Alexa functionality is still there. I never really use the app for it.

1 Like

Mine work fine even with the new updates. Although I don’t use the device handler. I use them as a normal switch.

I just bought the new dimmers and they are found also. Switched them from Z wave relay to Z wave dimmer. Gives me the option of the LED also.

What does the device handler add?

Test your wires with a multi meter. 3 ways typically have 3 wire connected to it. Find your line, which is your constant 120, find your load which is your light, then look for your traveler. That goes to the other switch location.

What you do need to make sure is that you have a neutral in the box. If you don’t then that is when you need to get one in the box. If you can’t, then you can’t wire up a smart switch.

1 Like

Don’t go by the colors. Sometimes electricians use different colors for their own identification. Typically black is hot, line, and other colors are the loads. But they can use the black as the load also. Neutrals are typically white or grey.

1 Like

Trying to sort out how I am supposed to wire this thing! Not sure I am understanding. This is my firth 3way switch

Option 2 on the included wiring diagram

Ok but stupid question how do I know which switch is witch

Looks like your multi gang box will get the Zooz switch.