Zigbee - from flakey to stable

What are you exactly trying to do - use the XBEE for something else besides Smartthings? Just trying to understand what your goal is.

Yes I was going to use for something else. I was able to reset it the defaults and reflash the firmware. After that it was finally removed. Thanks

1 Like

Got myself an XBee3 today from the “Mesh” kit. So far seems okay and I’ve cobbled together settings from the rest of this tread (as the other configs wont apply to this model - Xb3-24 FW 1005). So far I’ve got it on the network & communicating with ST and I can map out my network but I’ve tried “resetting” some of my Xiaomi sensors near the Xbee when other plugs are turned off, but they don’t seem to want to use it as a router. Any ideas or tips to check where I might have missed a config setting? Thanks

I would check the repeater setting, which I’m sure you have!

For the Xiaomi sensors I would.look at the link about 10 post up posted in December. I have one of those devices and they work well. I don’t have Xiaomi sensors but I have read other post where that device works well for them.

Thank you, I think it was just a patience / resetting thing. After a couple of power cycles & an hour or two things started to register correctly against the Xbee’s so looking okay now :slight_smile:

Also - check NJ Node Join time. If set to FF it allows new devices to join any time as long as it has children available (see NC). If anything else it allows new joins only during that time in seconds (so if I write 20 there it will allow joins for 32 seconds from when I write that value. )

It doesn’t seem to affect rejoins, just new joins. I haven’t left any of my 4 XBees at FF in NJ. When I’m adding something new and would prefer it go to a particular XBee for load balancing I change the NC value on the one I want to open it up for, say, 120 seconds, then turn on the device, click button, whatever. It doesn’t mean that it will stay with that XBEE forever, but at least on initial pairing it will connect to the only open one.

Note that when I do this the pairing can happen even before I start the process in the Smartthings app, so if I didn’t start it it won’t attach to the hub even if there is a slot, since the XBEE is “open” and the Hub isn’t yet. Once I go to add a thing it identifies the new device as either a thing or whatever else depending on the fingerprint.

Alec

Can someone please tell me the correct device handler to be used for XBee ? It shows up as a thing. Given it’s purpose I don’t think it really matters, but still ….

Thanks

“Thing” is fine. The device handler does not affect its ability to repeat, map, etc.–that is all OK as long as it’s just joined to your network. Unless you want to use it for a special purpose, you don’t need anything else (but as an example: someone on the Hubitat forums created a “presence” driver, equivalent to an ST DTH, for it, that can be used either as an actual presence sensor or to just help you see when the device goes offline; however, you need to have a programmable model, which I think is only 2-series models explicitly sold as such or an Xbee 3, because this requires custom code on the Xbee itself).

1 Like

Thanks for your hard work and for sharing. This looks like a project I should try as I’m having zig problems. The “unplug the hub for 15 minutes/20 minutes/ half an hour/ one hour (depends on who you read, I guess) then wait an hour/a day for the mesh to reform” routine is a painful way to troubleshoot - like eating steak through a straw. It’d be VERY helpful to get some visual clues as to what’s going on.

It is pretty simple. Took me about 15 minutes to get XBee up and running. I also installed one of Iman’s Zigbee repeaters, which also includes temperature, pressure, light and humidity sensors, supports 20 zigbee end devices. As a repeater I prefer this over my XBee. I like XBee because I can see my mesh. Without XBee I would not have realized that my Sylvania par38 bulbs were my biggest problem in my mesh. Last couple of weeks I was having horrible time with my Aqara motion and door sensors becoming unavailable, some times 10 – 12 at a time. I have not had a single one becoming unavailable since adding these 2.

Take a look at the below thread. There are some helpful links posted by members of this forum that really helped me.

1 Like

I am sharing this small video on using Digi XBee S2C (firmware ZIGBEE TH REG v4060) + SparkFun Xbee Explorer USB Dongle + Digi XCTU to map/extend the Zigbee network + SmartThings integration. It’s Spanish but it should pretty easy to follow. This configuration works great in my network (I have more than 20 Xiaomi Aqara zigbee devices) and the pairing-loss issues have significantly improved after I installed XBee as a permanent router in my network.

Hi all. Been with Smartthings for several years now, but just new to the xbee world. I’ve recently purchased a couple of the xbee3 pros, and got them up and running 2 as repeaters, one as an endpoint strictly to map my mesh. One of my reasons for exploring this was whats been said about how well they work with Xiaomi sensors. However most of what’s contained in this thread pertains to the xbee2, and so far using all the suggested settings, with my xbee3, the Xiaomi drop off instantly after pairing. I have used the suggest SN and SP settings, but with no luck. Is this a firmware issue xbee2 vs xbee3? Any suggestions?

Sorry I can’t help you, but this person creates modules that supposedly work very well with Xiaomi sensors. Possibly he can help you find a solution?

I do have several that work well with Xiaomi. I’m looking more for some insight into getting the XBee3 to work well with them. I’ve found the Cc2531, and the Smartthings outlets both V2 & V3 work well.

I was unable to discover Xbee in ST after configuring the parameters you mentioned.
Is it still possible to join in Edge environment? Did someone managed to see something recently ?

Answering my self… The device never discovered by ST hub. But, after configuring all parameters and writing all the setting to Xbee. I was able to see the zigbee network simply by pressing
Working Mode → Network Working Mode or ALT-V. And than select Scan. No issues.
One more question is it possible to display also RSSI for now only LQI is displayed which is OK, but with RSSI is even better.

Update 1 : @Haim_Azulay also tried to use this analyzer in Edge environment, in his case Scan nearby in ST app did find Zigbee Thing, after that the scan of devices worked with no issues with same setting as @gswoosh recommended. My guess is because my device was previously connected to my hub in Groovy Environment.

Update 2 : @Haim_Azulay tried to use this analyzer with another hub at different location. At first no detection in the other ST hub. In order to fix that we perform TOOLS → XBEE RECOVERY. This deleted all setting and probably the previous hub connection. After setting again all parameters as recommended , ST hub detected again and scan devices resume working.