Zigbee Contact MC Driver Doesn't Report Temperature for Xfinity XHS2-UE Open/Close Sensors

I have just tried to install a new Xfinity XHS2-UE Open/Close Sensor. I selected @Mariano_Colmenarejo 's Zigbee Contact MC driver, and the sensor correctly reports open/close status. However, it doesn’t report temperature.

I have several other Xfinity XHS2-UE Open/Close Sensors that were paired previously (under the Groovy IDE) using the Tyco Open/Close Sensor driver. When Groovy was disabled, these sensors were all migrated automatically to the “Zigbee Contact” driver, and they continue to correctly report both open/close status and temperature.

However, for this new device, I can’t select “Zigbee Contact” as the driver. I can only select “Zigbee Contact MC”. But it’s not reporting temperature.

Here’s the data from the Zigbee Thing MC Driver:
Manufacturer: Universal Electronics Inc
Model: URC4460BC0-X-R
FingerPrinted_EndPoint.Id: 0x01
App Version: 0x01
ZCL Version: 0x01
Network ID: 0x06D3
Zigbee EUI: 000D6F0010C28F7A
Device ID: f0e5cffa-a00a-4a25-8376-2624961f1a5f

Server Cluster:
Ep: 0x01={ 0000,0001,0003,0020,0402,0500,0B05 }

Client Clusters:
Ep: 0x01={ 0019 }

Signal Metrics:
LQI: 176 … RSSI: -56 dbm

f0e5cffa-a00a-4a25-8376-2624961f1a5f

It should also report temperature.

If you changed the driver from zigbee thing, it may not have been configured correctly.

Uninstall the device and pair it again directly with the zigbee Contact Mc driver installed on your hub

OK, so short answer is that it’s working now. Long answer below.

My use case is pretty unique. I’m using the Xfinity XHS2-UE solely for its temperature sensor. I don’t care about the open/close sensor. My application is in a hot tub. I used to have a proprietary Wi-Fi wireless temp sensor that came in a waterproof plastic housing. However, the probe broke after a few years, and I can’t get a replacement. So, I disconnected the wires and removed the electronics, leaving me with an empty, waterproof housing. I dropped just the sensor half of the XHS2-UE into it, sealed it, and dropped it in the hot tub.

Problem is that it never reported the temperature.

So today, I opened up the housing and removed the sensor. As a test, I put it next to the magnet that came with the sensor, to simulate a door closed state. The contact sensor reported “closed”, and it immediately started reporting temperature.

My theory is that, when you add a new sensor to the hub, you need to wait about 10-15 minutes and then simulate a few open/close cycles to “trigger” it into reporting the temperature. I did wait 10-15 minutes, but the sensor was constantly in an “open” state. Since I put only the sensor half into the waterproof housing, it stayed constantly in an “open” state.

For good measure, I put both parts of the XHS2-UE (sensor and magnet) into the housing and dropped it back into the hot tub. It’s now reporting a toasty 102.2 F and “closed” status. I have the added bonus that if anyone tampers with it, it will report “open” and I can take appropriate action.

Thanks for your help. Hopefully this story helps anyone else contemplating a similar setup using the XHS2-UE as a dedicated temp probe.

1 Like