Previously Installed Xfinity XHS2-UE Open/Close Sensors Work Fine, but I can't Install New Ones

I have about 25 Xfinity XHS2-UE window/door open/close contact sensors installed in my house. They have been installed since before the whole disaster that is the migration from Groovy to Edge.
Devices that were previously installed are still working. They appear to be using a driver called “Zigbee Contact” with description “SmartThings driver for Zigbee contact devices”. Everything works great with these devices. They report open/close status, temperature and humidity.

I had a few of these devices left over that I had never taken out of the box. I tried to install one today and when I added it to SmartThings it was added as “Zigbee Thing” with description “SmartThings driver that acts as a fallback for Zigbee devices”. It doesn’t report anything at all. No open/close. No temp. No humidity. It’s useless.

When I try to “Select Different Driver” no other drivers appear. So, why do my previously installed devices work great, but I can’t install a new device WITH IDENTICAL HARDWARE!!!

Why can’t I just select “Zigbee Contact” as the driver for the new device? As I mentioned, the hardware is identical. The only difference is that the others were already installed before SmartThings decided to move from Groovy to Edge. So, why can’t I set up this new device with the same driver?

The devices are probably installed using a driver’s generic fingerprints and something has changed in the operation of SmartThings Hub.

Could you install Zigbee Thing Mc driver.
Using Zigbee Thing Mc driver is possible to read exact model and manufacturer.
Then it is possible to check which driver is supporting your device.

manufacturer:
model:
Server Cluster:
Client Cluster:

Perform a driver change to Zigbee Thing Mc and publish the history information of the device.

You can install Zigbee Thing Mc driver from Mariano’s Edge drivers Shared Channel
https://api.smartthings.com/invitation-web/accept?id=6b68563b-1905-4654-8d2b-e677a2997424

1 Like

I have 5 of these and I use Zigbee Contact MC and they work perfectly. Install the driver from the invataion link below.

Samsung account

1 Like

Hi @mlchelp & @TapioX ,
Thanks for your reply. I am using the Zibgee Contact Mc driver now, but it’s not reporting temperature. It only reports open/closed status. For my application, I need temperature. Are you getting temperature readings? I get them from all of my other XHS2-UE devices (the ones that were installed previously to the switch from Groovy to Edge). They currently use a driver called “Zigbee Contact” but I’m unable to select that as the driver for the new device.

@TapioX & @Mariano_Colmenarejo ,
Here’s the information from the Zigbee Thing Mc driver:

Manufacturer: Universal Electronics Inc
Model: URC4460BC0-X-R
FingerPrinted_EndPoint.Id: 0x01
App Version: 0x01
ZCL Version: 0x01
Network ID: 0x06D3
Zigbee EUI: 000D6F0010C28F7A
Device ID: f0e5cffa-a00a-4a25-8376-2624961f1a5f

Server Cluster:
Ep: 0x01={ 0000,0001,0003,0020,0402,0500,0B05 }

Client Clusters:
Ep: 0x01={ 0019 }

Signal Metrics:
LQI: 176 … RSSI: -56 dbm

f0e5cffa-a00a-4a25-8376-2624961f1a5f

Yes, my temperature is reporting fine and it is the same exact model that you have as reported in the advanced API. Maybe ask @Mariano_Colmenarejo he may be able to help. I have installed and uninstalled these multiple times with the temperature working without issue.

OK, so short answer is that it’s working now. Long answer below.

My use case is pretty unique. I’m using the Xfinity XHS2-UE solely for its temperature sensor. I don’t care about the open/close sensor. My application is in a hot tub. I used to have a proprietary Wi-Fi wireless temp sensor that came in a waterproof plastic housing. However, the probe broke after a few years, and I can’t get a replacement. So, I disconnected the wires and removed the electronics, leaving me with an empty, waterproof housing. I dropped just the sensor half of the XHS2-UE into it, sealed it, and dropped it in the hot tub.

Problem is that it never reported the temperature.

So today, I opened up the housing and removed the sensor. As a test, I put it next to the magnet that came with the sensor, to simulate a door closed state. The contact sensor reported “closed”, and it immediately started reporting temperature.

My theory is that, when you add a new sensor to the hub, you need to wait about 10-15 minutes and then simulate a few open/close cycles to “trigger” it into reporting the temperature. I did wait 10-15 minutes, but the sensor was constantly in an “open” state. Since I put only the sensor half into the waterproof housing, it stayed constantly in an “open” state.

For good measure, I put both parts of the XHS2-UE (sensor and magnet) into the housing and dropped it back into the hot tub. It’s now reporting a toasty 102.2 F.

Thanks all for your help. Hopefully this story helps anyone else contemplating a similar setup using the XHS2-UE as a dedicated temp probe.