Z-Wave Smart Energy Meter - 9.99....Really?

I just managed to hit over 800. I’ve got 2 fridges and a freezer. Had to turn on the dryer to get a spike over 500.

But yeah, I’m going around turning on everything to see what I need to throw out. I’ll be starting with the recessed halogens.

I’ve only got to turn the kettle on to beat that, hehe. Had the AC running the other day (80 degrees here, nuts) and when both units are running it’s cringe-inducing. So if they are running, both ovens, cooktop, microwave, kettle and the good lady’s hair irons I may need more digits in the DTH :fearful:

1 Like

Oh God. I hadn’t even thought about that. Being able to see those numbers is gonna drive me nuts.

1 Like

Whatever you do, don’t walk by a display when Washer, dryer, dishwasher, coffee pot are all running. It is sure to induce a heart-attack or stoke.

1 Like

Okay, just finished painfully adding my second HEM to my dryer. Thanks to @Mike_Maxwell and his handy-dandy DTH (and 2hrs of messages for guidance) I stuck L2 on my dryer cord (since the insulation was already cut right before the terminals). Now I’ve gotta get creative with the washer.

Evidently, these things still aren’t very ST friendly, since I got no readings after over an hour of fiddling. Had to exclude it and coax it back into the fold…gently.

Just took 1 of the 5 of these Aeon HEM I have had sitting in my office out of the box and hooked it up to my garage panel.

Up and running in a few minutes.

Thx @johnconstantelo for the DTH! :thumbsup:

2 Likes

Finally done. Hooked one HEM in the garage (15’ish mins of real work), and hooked a second up in the laundry room (about an hour of real work, not counting customizing the DTH and the Smartapp monitor).

The laundry room install was a bit tricky. I have the washer on one leg, and the dryer on the other. For the washer, I installed #1 in the junction box behind the outlet. Luckily there was plenty of room. For the dryer, I was able to clamp a hot by stripping the cable jacket insulation (outer insulation, not to bare copper) a bit lower than it’s normally stripped. Still, it was maybe an hour or so to get the clamps installed and the monitor mounted.

All in all, painless. Definitely worth the minimal effort. The WAF just increased 10-fold with laundry notifications.

Ugh - Just connected mine to the garage panel and it doesn’t seem to be working.

energy: 0.000 kWh
power: 29 W
checkInterval: 1920

I don’t think I’m using that little power and I’ve tried turning on and off stuff and it doesn’t ever change. I’ll try to take a picture but it was pretty straight forward. Do the wires have to be touching the clamps? Also does it matter which direction the clamps are?

EDIT: Nevermind - I played with the device handler and got it to start working. I changed from update on wattage change to update at time interval and it started working. This is even though the wattage changed to over 450 watts when I opened/closed the garage.

You don’t mean “stripped” as in to the bare copper right?

Nah, just removed the outer insulation or cable jacket to expose the insulated wires within.

1 Like

So it seems these are really finicky to get working. I had one that took nearly 2 hours to troubleshoot and start reporting. I had to exclude it and include it again. It finally started reporting 5-10 mins later.

Yeah - it was pretty weird - I changed it back to notify on wattage change and its working that way as well now. It just needed to kick in.

Getting ready to install my HEM. Does it need to be clamped around power cables before it will connect?

Plugged into AC, next to my hub, clamps plugged in but empty, the red light flashes once per second.
Pushing the button in the battery compartment has no effect on the LED - still once per second.

The hub, searching for new devices, can’t find it.

Any suggestions? I don’t want to open the breaker box until I know the unit is working.

Try excluding it first.

Menu hamburger
Hub is online
Zwave utilities
General exclusion
Tap button inside HEM

If you get an exclusion confirmation, then try to add it again.

It should just report 0w if not on wires. No reason ( other than distance ) it should not be found. It is ZW , so running general exclusion never hurt anything

Well shoot…

Did all those. No exclusion confirmation.
Red light just flashes, once per second.

I think next step is contacting Aeon. Maybe try battery power first…

Thanks both of you for input! At least I know my test on top of the hub - should - work.

Edited: Put in batteries, still flashed once per second. Left it alone and went to look for the back.
Brought the pieces to box it up - and the light had stopped flashing.
Pressed the button - and it started fast flashing!
Connected right up through Home find new devices.

I hate it when things don’t work - then all of a sudden work for no discernible reason…

I will try setting up the software now. Thanks again all!

1 Like

Anyone bored here want to test something to help me and the community out? :slight_smile:

This post below has a link to a DTH to read the two clamps separately (monitor two devices). Worked for the author, not me. Wondering if someone else can try it to confirm if my problems are a “just me” issue. Thanks for any help.

It doesn’t have to be installed to connect to ST.

I actually did not take the “normal” route. I included mine using Minimotes. I actually could not get them to include properly out of the box without the Minimotes. After including the first time, ST was then able to quickly find them on subsequent includes when I had to Force Exclude.

So, if you happen to have a Minimote laying around, try that.

What is the best / most popular driver for this HEM now?
I am using smartthings : Aeon Home Energy Meter + C3
but I have a feeling it is not the best one.
It would be nice to have a basic (working) graph.

Yeah, I kinda gave up on finding the “best” cause everyone seems to be using something different. I couldn’t even get any of them to display on Android (except the AHEM+C3). So I’m assuming they’re all based on some original version.