Z-Wave Smart Energy Meter - 9.99....Really?

Love to see that these SF Bay cups are recyclable/compostable. So much waste is created by K-cup/Nespresso usage where the cups either aren’t recyclable/compostable, or people just throw them away for convenience sake. I finally got my dad to switch to a reusable k-cup system for his coffee habit, which given his consumption probably saves digging a whole landfill for him. :slight_smile:

I’m still old-school - grind my beans, use a traditional style espresso/cappuccino maker that doesn’t use pods. I like the hands-on routine each morning, makes me feel productive making coffee like Fred Flinstone would have (except he would have integrated a bird or monkey into the process). :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I got this energy monitor a few years ago. Works easy ,I’ve loaned it out to my kids & neighbors. If I get bored I check out some of the things around the house. When I got it, it was $25.

Belkin Conserve Insight Energy Use Monitor, F7C005Q. Hmmm; can’t get the Amazon links to show up like I’ve done in the past.

That’s one of the only reasons I decided to finally go to the pods, these are compostable. Well, and they taste good to me as well! My coffee maker has a reusable pod adapter as well that my wife uses with some of her special coffee’s she gets from time to time. And we still do make full, fresh ground, pots when company is over, but that’s rare.

Everyone at this point knows I’ll bug them incessantly with my graphs, generated partially from these Energy Meters so guests are not common…There brought us back on topic, right?

2 Likes

Not to water down the coffee convo, but I received by HEMs today! If you don’t see me around the forums, I didn’t know what NOT to do. :slight_smile:

(Still kinda regretting not just hopping in on the Ecoisme pre-order, but oh well.)

4 Likes

Took 10 minutes to load DH and install + pair. Works great.

Now the unfortunate chore of watching Ohio winter consumption. Of course, includes the proverbial outdoor hot tub. Gonna hurt for sure.

3 Likes

So, I decided to wait until Friday the 13th to do my first ever breaker panel intrusion. Probably not the best idea. Though I’m not typically superstitious, the entire time I was nervously thinking, “Why the hell are you tempting fate??”

The HEM mains install took around an hour and a half. 15 mins getting everything I thought I would need so I wouldn’t have to fumble around while the lights were off. Another 10 mins spent clearing the side of the garage for access. I donned triple-layer gloves, Timberland Pros, and safety glasses. I almost went to grab some panties and apron, just to be safe. I left the crucifix off, cuz metal and all. Another 10 mins for that.

I cautiously approached the panel (power had been off for 20 mins now), and treated the screws like delicate china and proceeded to drop the whole damned panel cover straight to the floor. It bent.

Another 5 mins was spent scratching my head, wondering how the heck was I going to close the clasps with only 1 hand in the box. Another 5 wondering if I should left it slide down my Main and come in contact with my Neutral. I decided to weekend electrician it up with some Command Strips. (sssshhhhh)

5 mins was spent talking to my neighbor who saw the garage open. Another 15 mins spent popping a knockout to feed the cables and fishing them through my 1x1-inch drywall cut. Another 10 mins spent reinstalling the cover and mounting the HEM.

Done! And still alive. I think actual time spent doing the actual install was 15 mins.

I was so glad to finish that, I didn’t even install in ST.

8 Likes

I’ll assume you used a metal ladder and had a black cat help hold the ladder steady.

4 Likes

So, how many beers did it take you to do this lengthy installation?

Only 3 beers. 1 before, 1 during and 1 after.

4 Likes

What, didn’t pour one on the floor around you as well? Chicken…

1 Like

LOL…yeah I’d thought about standing in a bucket of water with a chain running between a Prince Albert and a tongue ring, the piercing seemed like manly overkill.

4 Likes

where’s the youtube video you took? not as proof you did it, but something to submit for the above-mentioned Darwin awards

4 Likes

My house has not seen under 838w since I installed this a few days ago. That would be with no HVAC running, maybe a light or two, no small appliances on, no big PCs running (a Mac mini that is 24x7 and two iMacs that would have been sleeping at that min data point). I do have two fridges so maybe I have not yet hit a point were both are not running at the same time (although I doubt it).

Scratching my head trying to figure out what the draw is.

Otherwise things seem accurate as I can turn on things and see the numbers change as expected.

Put your hub and router/modem on a ups, kill each circuit and watch readings for 60 seconds or so. Obviously keep the HEM powered somehow if you kill it’s circuit.

I did this and have a deficit of about 200-400 watts I can’t account for exactly. One of these days I’ll figure it out…since it’s not 100% realtime, it’s hard to nail this sort of thing down.

I’ve gone so far as to put my Kill-A-Watt on EVERY SINGLE 120v outlet and log that to get avg parasitic draw. I’ve got a problem…

Yeah, it will come to this. Hub/router etc are already on a UPS. Just need the time to go through killing the circuits (I have large number) and deal with all the resets that go with it around the house.

I think I need to pick up one of these.

You killed the power ahead of the main? If so , should have been no issue at all. If I read that wrong, no reason to kill it anyway.

And if you did - damn great setup. Wish I could kill mine like that. I foolishly did not add a separate main disconnect when I re-did the house.

I said this before - but I have one on a circuit that is just my split ac - never drops below 61 watts. It’s some type of anomaly - and too much work to see if that shows on the main.

1 Like

Seriously the best $20 I’ve ever spent on anything!

1 Like

I’m just got mine in the mail. I have a second panel in the garage that gets power from the main panel in the house. I can kill the main panel in the house to do a test run using the garage panel.

Only issue I’m see is that I don’t see anyway to run the wires out of the main panel as I don’t see any holes that I can make. I really don’t want to be drilling the panel.

Anyone else have that issue?

Thinking about one of these too. That way I can test individual circuits while they’re on.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-MSR-C600-Digital-Multimeter-Resistance/dp/B00NWGZ4XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484332687&sr=8-1&keywords=clamp+on+amp+meter

1 Like

No, sorry. My panel has numerous knockouts of various sizes. I tapped out one of the nickel-sized ones real easy.

1 Like