Z-Wave siren issues

That makes more sense, I couldn’t figure out how that could possibly be working.

Just to see if it works, try creating the zwave device handler using the template and see if that works with SHM.

[quote=“pswired, post:20, topic:40227, full:true”]
Huh. Any suggestions for how to proceed now? Do you think ST support would be willing to help if I submitted a case?
[/quote]I have a zwave switch with a police light plugged into it which I haven’t integrated with SHM, but I’m going to attempt it now. I plan on creating a new DH for the siren this weekend so I should get more familiar with SHM anyways.

I’ll let you know if I figure out a way to get it to work locally.

I created a new device from the z-wave siren template, and sure enough, everything works properly…

I guess something is borked with the default device handler for the z-wave siren. I wonder if anyone has that device type working properly?

Am I right that the only way to have this work with local control is for the ST team to fix the device handler that’s built-in?

I should also note that this device I created from the template takes a very long time to turn the “siren” off. Both when cancelled from SHM and when activated manually from the things screen in the app.

I’m running into long delays with the doorbell device handlers I’ve created and I think it has something to do with it not running locally.

Reporting it and waiting for ST to fix it might be the only solution, but I’m going to try a few things and get back to you shortly.

[quote=“pswired, post:23, topic:40227”]
Am I right that the only way to have this work with local control is for the ST team to fix the device handler that’s built-in?
[/quote]Try the SmartAlert Siren Device Handler. Assuming the live DH has the same code as the template, the test button is the only button that will work in the mobile app, but it should work with SHM.

Wow, it sure does! I actually have full on/off control for mine in addition to the test function in the device view in the app.

So my problem is solved, and it’s showing up in the local device list, so I should be good to go for local control too. Thanks for the help here.

BTW, I’m pretty sure I tried that device type with the z-wave module when I was first searching for a device handler for it, but I guess I must not have tried it thoroughly enough.

I just noticed that the siren won’t sound if you have old alerts that haven’t been dismissed so that might have been the problem when you first tested it.

I also just noticed that the Alert with Sirens settings in the SmartApps list isn’t the same Alert with Sirens setting that SHM uses.

I sent in a ticket to support with a link to this thread. Maybe they can take a look at that z-wave siren device type to see what the deal is.

There would probably be a lot more posts about this if it didn’t work with an actual siren, but submitting the ticket was still a good idea.

There are different zwave commands for Strobe, Siren, and On. SHM calls the Both command so if that command sends one or both of the specific commands instead of sending the on command, that would explain why it works for sirens and not for outlets.

Support team did respond, but I’m not entirely sure that they fully understood the issue:

Dominic (SmartThings)
Feb 25, 12:24 PM
Hello Patrick,
Thank you for letting us know, I certainly appreciate it! This is an issue we’ve run into, having to do with the way the Hub recognizes the device initially upon pairing. We’ve found changing the device type does help, so it looks like you’re already ahead of the game. We are working on getting this issue fixed. If you need help with anything else just let me know. Have a great day!
Dominic R.
Support Engineer
strong text