Z-Wave plus (Gen 5)

Has anyone successfully used a Z-Wave plus device with SmartThings? I am able to pair an Aeon Siren but can’t do anything with it. It has a “5E” command class and SmartThings doesn’t list 5E in their documentation:

https://graph.api.smartthings.com/ide/doc/zwave-utils.html

5E is for Z-Wave plus:

http://www.z-wavealliance.org/z-wave-plus-certifications

1 Like

You make any progress @beckwith I just purchased a Heavy Duty Smart Switch from Aeon. It’s a Gen 5 Chip and Z-Wave plus. I can’t even get it to show that it’s paired. Although it thinks that it pairs.

No luck. I suspect SmartThings has issues with the security class:

I wonder if there is something they can do to better support these devices or if we’re going to have to wait for hub v2. Did you contact support by any chance?

Yes I contacted them. They don’t seem to have any interest in getting new devices connected, instead suggesting I work with the community forums.

I have half a dozen new devices that are collecting dust…

At least yours show up. I can’t even get ST to acknowledge the device has connected. I had thought about going with a original HEM instead of this device because I just want to know when the dryer shuts off. Now I’m wishing I would have because that device is at least supported. I bought this because I have hopes of getting a second one to monitor energy usage of the HVAC system.

1 Like

It seems like a bad idea to out your HVAC system on a contactor (with the potential to fail) when all you actually want to do is monitor consumption.

Just use the Home Energy Monitor on its own.

To me ST just isn’t getting it done lately. It seems like they are going backward and not forward. I’m disappointed in ST lately.

@llcanada while you have some valid points. Please don’t hijack the thread with complaints. I acknowledge, they do have some shortfalls but for me there are way more +'s than -'s.

I’m currently working with @Tyler at support on my issue so that I can at least get it to show up, then I can work from there in actually making it work.

2 Likes

I was able to pair the Aeotec siren as Zwave switch but it does nothing as of now. Been trying my best to nag @urman about exploring the possibility. Looks like it does send on, off and refresh commands as I see them in logs but does nothing nor can I use it for anything.

I even offered to send it to them if they can’t get their hands on one.

Why not ask aeotec for the technical instructions? Take a look at what fibro provides — makes writing a device driver easy.

Also. Seems to be that the manufacturers should see putting together a solid smartthings/vera/homeseer/etc device driver as an integral part of their business. Try bugging them. They have the financial reward of more customers.

2 Likes

Here is their response:

“The Siren is a new product at the moment, you might have to get into contact with smart things, i am unsure how it is suppose to show up in their interface. It is possible they have not fully added compatibility yet, or failed to pass information between the controller and the siren. I suggest re-including the siren a few more time before getting into contact with smartthings hub support team.”

Do you have a url for Fibaro API documentation?

For instance — http://www.fibaro.com/manuals/en/FGRGBWM-441-RGBW-Controller/FGRGBWM-441-RGBW-Controller-en-2.1-2.3.pdf

Just saying that for their devices, they seem to be really up front with the technical details that are helpful when writing a device profile.

I have 2 LinearLinc BulbZ devices showing up soon, which are also Zwave plus devices. These seemed liked the simplest and most useful to install to increase the range to the far part of the house.

Is it just particular devices that are going to have problems connecting or anything that is Zwave plus? I noticed that the Smarthings Hub isn’t listed as Zwave plus certified, the staples and wink hubs are the only one’s showing on the zwave alliance website.

Don’t know if anyone has successfully paired a Z-Wave plus device yet. Let us know if you have any success.

I have paired the gen 5 door sensor from aeon.

Any luck with the heavy duty smart switch? I’m guessing it can’t be paired because it supports more then 18 command classes:

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1133/pics

Mine appears to pair but shows up nowhere. Here was the reply from support the end of November.

Hey Matt,

It looks like there are going to have to be firmware level changes to support these devices. The good news is that progress on that has already started and we have a variety of these devices to test for our certification processes.

Could ST provide a timeline for supporting Gen5 devices as indicated in Matt’s post? Not knowing Gen5 devices were not supported, I tried installing an Aeotec Gen5 Recessed Door Sensor and could only have the hub recognize it as a Z-Wave device. It could not identify the type of device. Thanks.