Z-wave repair failing

You should also be able to do a Z wave replace. That way you don’t have to change any of the smart apps.

Zigbee devices each have their own unique ID, but in Z wave, the network ID is signed by the network controller at the time of pairing.

So the replace utility is intended to let you remove a defective device and replace it with another of the exact same features and the network controller will give the new device the same ID as the old device so you don’t have to change any of your code.

You can also use this to rejoin an existing device which for one reason or another has gotten flaky and see if it helps.

Just another option to consider.

@JDRoberts

I did try the replace, but it was not completing. Maybe I did not wait long enough? How long should I have to wait for this operation to complete?

Did you get error messages?

I think the replace is broken. I had two failed devices that I tried to replace and after 10 unsuccessful attempts, I then tried to exclude them and that didn’t work. I had to have support remove the devices but ever since this incident, I am no longer able to run repairs. It fails with err 101 zwave is not responsive. Arghhh. First time ever, in 2 years…

The process doesn’t take longer than a regular inclusion. I have done successfully several times in the past. It is a two step process. First the device is deemed failed, then you can replace it. It seems like the time out for unresponsive device to be marked failed is just not working. @duncan, any thoughts?

So I have joined the club of zwave repair failure. See here why.

But what if I do an include and then an exclude, would I be able to get rid of them?

I’ve had devices become unresponsive and refuse to start back working at all.

This is what I usually do.

Exclude the device with a Minimote.
Then one of two ways usually works

1- go to add a device and let it get added back. Sometimes this just adds it as a new device where I have to change it out with the old ghost device in all of the apps, then delete the ghost. And sometimes it just adds it right back to it’s old location. This second one almost always occurs with a zigbee device.

2- go to replace device (zwave only) and wait for it to fail, then tap replace, and then add the device. It almost always go right back to where it is supposed to.

But the key here, is the Minimote exclusion.

1 Like

Here is my solution!

I’m not sure if it was the last iOS app update or the last Hub firmware update, but Repair Z-Wave Network doesn’t seem to work at all any more. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there something I can do about it? I have a bunch of Aeoteck Smart Switch 6 Gen5’s, one Aeoteck Energy Monitor switch, and several GE 2 & 3-way dimmers. The Repair function has always worked in the past, but now it’s failing.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks,

Phil

@MensaMan64

I use the website graph.smartthings.com

I have been unable to use iPhone app for zwave repair for a while.

However from the website zwave repair seems improved over its past behavior.

Read this thread, but confused about my steps. I have a GE wall plug that quit responding 3 days ago. Shows Inactive in the IDE. I have done a couple of z-wave repairs, but it says it can not be added into the mesh. So do I delete all smart apps it uses then do an exclusion and then re-add? Thanks

No need to do that yet. Go to the device in the phone app, tap the gear, and then tap on Replace. If it comes back as “device not considered failed”, then we can go down the exclusion process.

The replace process can take some time. If it times out, try again. I’ve also had to reboot the hub before a Replace would work right. Every time I’ve done a Replace, it’s worked, so don’t give up!

1 Like

Well, It came back at “Ready to replace device”… so now what do I do???
Thanks

1 Like

That’s good! Press the button on the device, or what ever the regular Inclusion process is. For the wall plug, I believe it’s just pressing the button.

1 Like

Did your device just vanish after clicking replace?

Hi Bobby. I saw your post in the other discussion. I’ve never had a device vanish after doing a Replace, and I’ve done my fair share.

Yup me neither until 3 days ago. And I was able to reproduce it. Support said. Oh well it’s your dead device that’s causing it. I don’t buy it. But…I am the only one complaining about this, so that may be true :slight_smile:

Yeah, that’s really weird. The last one I did was 2 days ago. It’s an older GE switch that I know is in a death spiral ever since we had a major power outage. Power bounced on/off three times really hard, and I ran to the breaker box to throw the main before I had more switches die. Luckily, all is well with all my other mains powered stuff, but it sure was not pleasant.

After I put z-wave switches in my entire home, I installed a whole house surge. Hopefully will work to prevent events like yours. That is sure not pleasant.

1 Like