Xiaomi Aqara Temp Sensor

Hi, I have 3 Xiaomi Aqare Temperature and Humidity sensors and am using a device handler I found on github ( https://github.com/bspranger/Xiaomi ). I am a bit confused as all the 3 sensors are using the same device handler, yet the display on Smart Things app are different ( in the new app anyways ). One displays separate display for humidity and temperature and the other displays a combined temperature and humidity widget. Its definitely using the device handler as if I change the text in some of the option it changes on both variances of interface.

Anyone got any idea whats going on?

Thanks

Steve

I’m even more confused as I’m using cleaned up versions of the ‘bspranger’ handlers. I’ve been trying to influence what is displayed using various combinations of no metadata, explicit ocfDeviceType (known to affect the tile in the new app home screen), explicit vid using the SmartThings generic offerings (known to affect how the device page is displayed) and explicit vid referencing one generated by my own organisation device profile (which in turn is influenced by having developer options turned on in the new app).

I’ve: edited the handler; updated the device handler in the IDE with and without changing something (the latter seems to make the device handler reload more comprehensively, and so affect the display in the new app, except when it doesn’t); cleared the app cache; forced quit it; wiped its data; and even accidentally uninstalled it.

So to add to your temperature sensor woes, I’ve had: tiles that don’t respond at all; tiles without any status; tiles with an undesired attribute being used for status; tiles with the undesired icons; tiles with the desired icons and status; motion sensors that display battery, illumination and motion in varying orders; buttons that just offer ‘pressed’ shortcuts, buttons that correctly offer shortcuts for one to four presses; button tiles with remote control icons; button tiles with button icons; and button pages that include the momentary capability even though my button handler doesn’t have it.

There have been times when one or more devices have done one thing and the other something else. Sometimes what is displayed has changed over night.

I hope one or more people do, and that they realise they have the easiest win ever if they can actually tell us.

bspranger has two Xiaomi device handlers. One is for the Xiaomi Aqara sensor, which is square and the other is for the Xiaomi Mi sensor, which is round. Is it possible you are using the wrong device handler?

I have 4 of the Aqara temp/humidity sensors, and a while back I was messing around with the DTH to see if I could find a way to use Alexa to query the temp for someone on the forums. After all the messing around I assigned the original DTH to all of them and deleted the modified versions of the DTH I’d been using. The sensors each displayed differently in the new app, some with tiles for various capability/vid/ofcDeviceType from the previous iterations of the DTH. Nothing I did seemed to get them to force them to update to the DTH they were assigned in the IDE. I ended up completely deleting and re-pairing one which was the only thing that worked, but was hesitant to do that to the others as it would mean rebuilding loads of automations. After a little over a week they one by one started displaying the tiles associated with the assigned DTH.

I have also noticed that occasionally my devices using custom DTH’s will simply display a tile saying status connected without any controls, history, or other tiles. Seems to happen randomly, and usually resolves itself a little while later, but it’s always with devices using custom code.

It has been asked already how we can force the app to update the device with the current DH in use, but still hasn’t received and answer from @blake.arnold.
Many of us can see the issues what all of you listed above, same DH and different capabilities and UX displays, incorrect UX etc.
It must be stored somehow in the metadata related to the device, not the DH, but it is unknown how to get that updated/purged. Hopefully an answer will come soon.

I’ve been messing around for days, going round in circles. Just to confuse myself I’ve been working with Device Profiles in the Developer Workspace, where you define a Vendor ID and end up with a UI Manifest. If you use the VID Selector tool, the same things are the Visualization Identifier and the Presentation Resource. That is par for the course for the Developer Workspace where the documentation still talks about SmartApps in places, even though the Workspace doesn’t seem to use that term any more.

Reading the UI Manifest, you can see it is defining both the device page and the components of the app dashboard tile (icon, status and action), which has led me to suspect that not only might you not need ocfDeviceType in a DTH when you have a vid, but it might actually totally confuse the issue. The ocfDeviceType seems to be more about saying e.g. ‘it is a button, please try and do something sensible for a button’. Note that I said ‘suspect’ and not ‘conclude’, as it is difficult to conclude anything when nothing seems to be repeatable.

I am pretty sure that if I change the VID in the DTH, the only way that is going to get picked up for a particular device is to update the device in the IDE. However hitting the Update button is not enough. You have to change something e.g. name, and then hit the Update button. Quite why hitting the Update button needs to do two different things is unclear, but it is rather irritating. With the wind in the right direction, this might also cause the new app to update the device page, except for when it doesn’t.

It is the new app dashboard tiles that have pretty much beaten me though. It’s not that I haven’t had them working how I want, it is that I’ve no idea how to repeat it. I can force quit, clear the cache and clear the data, and it can make things change, or make no difference, or leave me with unchanging tiles.

I too am reluctant to completely delete and reinstall a device. However at the moment the whole process seems rather unforgiving. It seems you get it right first time or you are stuffed.

I have this on 2 locations. One where it works great and one where it reports great but i cannot make automations based on temp or humidity. Tje second location is new and is therefor also missing routines in classic app. After investigating this is the only differense and could be the reason why? But I am not able to get routines in this location. Not even with downgrading classic app to 2.17. Routines show in this version but i cannot create one :confused:

Mine isn’t showing anywhere in the display (new app) for Pressure, but all the settings are there for it. Is that normal or just my personal experience here?