Xiaomi 4k TV integration?

Hey all!

My current setup involves:

1. A KS8000 samsung TV (which Samsung said I’d be able to use directly from Smartthings but… oh well… never mind… don’t want my blood to boil again…)
  2. A hard drive plugged into said TV so that the Mrs can record her fav shows
  3. A Sonos Beam soundbar (what a bar!) with surround speakers
  4. A game console (Right now a Wii U, but soon it’ll change… undecided yet between Google Stadia, Nvidia Shield, PS4, Nintendo Switch…)

My entire home has ethernet cable runs in all the strategic places, so all the main components are set… don’t want to risk running into wifi issues…

I still don’t know how to fully integrate the KS8000 with ST so that the lights in the living room turn on/off based on what is happening in the room (watching tv in the evening before sunset or after sunset, watching a show while eating dinner, watching a film late at night, playing games in the afternoon…)

All those activities have their different lighting needs… some need immersive changing lights, others just a warm light, others full lights so that you can see the food…

I know I could use the Harmony Hub… but again… it only runs on wifi… ugh…

I’m thinking of doing the following moves…

1. Getting a newly announced Xiaomi 4k TV with android installed. The KS8000 would then be going to my parents’ home…
  2. Finding an android app that will do the ambilight…
  3. Connect the TV to ST or something (help will be needed here) to be able to turn different modes on/off and have the lights/blinds/temp/TV react in different ways…

Am I just plain crazy?

Short answer, yes!

I told you so, you need a Philips TV for the ambilight. And you have ruled out a few weeks ago the changing of the TV if I can remember correctly. :wink:

Have you convinced the Mrs?

Before you would by an Android TV, I would suggest, try it first. Android TV is great for some features, but it is limited on the other hand. Check that what integration you can get for Android TV, I doubt that there is too many. Even surprised that Android TV is still not an abandoned project.

1 Like

Check out tasker and sharptools if you want to control the android tv from smartthings

2 Likes