I’ve got another light I’m trying to wire a G2 relay into. Apparently this one is a bit different than the one you awesome forum folks helped me with earlier this month.
I thought I could follow that previous setup with this one as they look almost the same but apparently not, I believe I fried the fist G2 dimmer I tried on this one as the G2 Wall Switch terminal has a nice burn mark on it…
So here’s the setup with this light and switches.
At the top of the stairs is the light I want to wire. The power comes in at the light fixture, like nearly all of my lights in this house wired in 1970. There are 2 switches that control this light upstairs (one 4 way and one 3way) and 1 at the bottom of the stairs (3way).
Here’s what is in the light fixture and what I think they are:
Here’s is what I think is the 4way upstairs, notice the black wire tied to another black going somewhere. I thought maybe this was the switch loop going through all the switches like [in my other thread] (Wiring Help - Aeotec G2) but I’m not so sure. Come to think of it in that setup the LINE went through all the switches…so I don’t know what I’ve got here:
Here’s the other upstairs switch:
Here’s the downstairs switch (ignore the other switch in the box):
So here’s how I wired the G2 dimmer into the fixture wiring (and probably fried it):
- connected Line bundle (green wire nut in 1st pic) to AC Power L on the G2
- disconnected neutral from light from the Neutral bundle & connected Neutral bundle to AC Power N on the G2
- connected Load N to the white wire from the light fixture (was previously tied into Neutral bundle in step 2)
- disconnected black wire tied into black wire from light fixture & connected Load L to the 1 black wire from the light fixture
- connected black wire (previously wired with the black wire from the light fixture in step 4) to Wall Switch terminal (furthest from 3V terminal) on the G2
Since I had to run to the basement to flip the breaker back on I didn’t see/hear what happened. When I looked at the G2 after turning the breaker back on I did not see the red light so I’m assuming that means it did not have power. After removing the G2 from the circuit and inspecting it I found the burn marks near the Wall Switch terminal so I suspect it got fried.
So what did I do wrong? What’s different with this light/switches from my other thread is that the travelers appear to join in the fixture box instead of daisy chaining from switch to switch. Not sure that it matters for this though.
Also, I’m not sure what the black wire tied to the black wire is in the first switch box pictured above. I don’t think it’s LINE going to the switches but was thinking it was the switch loop wire that ties into the black wire to the light fixture in the box at the fixture…
Any ideas what I’m doing wrong on this one???