@JDRoberts well call me surprised I thought it was a state law, but I do not see it on that page. Now I have more work to do thanks to this (SMILE). Honestly, I guess I am more tempormental about this due to the losses that I have experienced. If the manufacturer states it is ok to put in the ceiling that is fine I guess.
Since I saw the difference, mind you it was several minutes, and since I am also disabled I need every second that I can get to assure myself and family are safe.
@JDRoberts do what you want. As with all things it is a choice. I know when my gas fireplace shut down one night, the CO alarm in that room did not go off at all. It was in the ceiling, I trusted it to work, of course I trusted the Gas Fireplace to work correctly as well (SMILE). Since I moved into this house, I had no direct idea of how the detector should have been installed as it came built in this way. I know that since I added the new detector and keep it at wall socket level that when the fireplace goes out, I know it within minutes, This could just be the detector that I purchased is actually doing a good job. (Of course after multiple times of the Gas Fireplace failing, I replaced that finally which solved the problem better than the CO sensor)
Once again… I guess I should not have brought it up. And really lets be honest, simple physics states that most of the time this will only occur during heating, and hot air rises. So the logic is sound, although scientifically CO is 4 percent roughly heavier than Air. Which means to me that having it lower (not on the ceiling) is better and more likely to give you those precious seconds that can make a difference in your life.