SmartThings Community

Wink beats ST at announcing thermostat control with Echo, BUT ST integration works too!

(Bobby) #11

For what? …what are you trying to do?

0 Likes

(Matt) #12

set the thermostat using my fire vs using my echo

0 Likes

(Bobby) #13

Aha…yeah, it might be an issue on Echo side too. My Fire says that it didn’t find a thermostat on my profile.

1 Like

My z-wave thermostat does not show up in the list, what should I do different ? it shows up in the echo smartapp in smarthings ( I added it), but it does not show up in echo device list. I tried to “discover devices”, but still does not show up

Any help is appreciated

0 Likes

(Bobby) #15

I didn’t have to do anything ‘special’. I just selected my thermostats in the Echo app in SmartThings, and then ran the discovery in the Echo app. I have no idea why yours would be different. Are you using the stock device handler, or a custom handler?

0 Likes

(Micheal ) #16

You can do this also with Alexa Helper.[RELEASE] Alexa Helper

0 Likes

I use stock Z-Wave Thermostat as far as I know. It shows up in the smart things alexa app. But its not visible in the Echo device list (on the echo app). Itrid discover devices. still did not show up

0 Likes

Thanks, this seems a lot powerful, but I would try the normal route first before doing this.

0 Likes

(Micheal ) #19

Of course…always have to have your options!

0 Likes

(Dave Schierenbeck) #20

Hey, can someone give me some suggestions on what you feel are the best thermostats to use for this? I’m a relative newbie, and have been playing around with ST for a month or so.

I now want to tackle the thermostats (I have 2). Carrier A/C and Gas furnace. I want reasonable cost, but be able to control the thermostat from the Echo, and also remotely from the internet via the ST interface.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

0 Likes

(Bobby) #21

I am happy with my two Honeywell z-wave t-stats. They have been solid (with a few hiccups) using ST for the past year or so…

0 Likes

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #22

You still haven’t gotten this to work? Alexa will "open"and"close"the garage door.

0 Likes

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #23

Ok, she keeps telling me that downstairs thermostat is not a mode and sins for 900°… Yes 900°

Edit: ahhhhhh, she doesn’t like auto mode!

0 Likes

(Matt) #24

I have as of today. It doesnt play well with the MyQ but I got an Iris door controller today and it works

2 Likes

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #25

Awesome! The iris is the same as the nutone… They are basically mimolite switches on the inside

1 Like

(Sean Kendall Schneyer) #26

Hmmm, wonder what will happen if I add my Ecobee thermostats via ST after I already did the direct integration between Ecobee and Alexa…

0 Likes

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #27

@SBDOBRESCU

I’m using the Honeywell Zwave 8320 thermostat, I think the same ones as you.

If I have it in auto mode, Alexa goes nuts on it. If it’s in Heat or Cool then it works.

What other commands have y’all figured out?

0 Likes

(Chris Etheridge) #28

So unfortunately I live in an area in Georgia where the temperature can sway from the 40s in the morning and in the afternoon swing all the way up in to the 70s and 80s. Normally it only happens in the spring and fall, but it can happen in the winter as well. Anyway, both my nests are on Heat/Cool mode and when I tell Alexa to set it to 72, it will set both temperatures to 72. I can see in the Nest device type (the official/unofficial one) that there is a heat setpoint and a cool setpoint. I would think that it wouldn’t be too hard to handle, for instance, saying Alexa, set the heat to 68, and it only changes the heat setpoint.

0 Likes

(Jason "The Enabler" as deemed so by @Smart) #29

Yeah, I thought the same thing… But… That’s what I get for thinking.

I live due west in Birmingham and our temps do the same thing. We hit 80 today, 40 something last night I think.

Anyway, I ran into the same problem. I’m not sure since you are using a nest, will Alexa change the mode of your thermostat?

I’m using two Honeywell zwave thermostats and she will not change the mode, just the temp.

So, I’m using the new and improved “Alexa helper” smart app to do all of the work for me.

But, since mine stay in auto mode this time of year, it’s a two step process (only in auto)

Alexa, turn on downstairs thermostat cool mode
Alexa, set downstairs thermostat to 72

It works like a charm.

Go here, and jump to the bottom of the thread.

0 Likes

(Dave Schierenbeck) #30

Jason:

Which Honeywell T-stats are you using. Been looking to put in 2 for my house, to integrate with ST, and would love to hear your experiences.

I also have “Alexa”, so if I can integrate that as well, that would be great!

Thanks,

0 Likes