Will the Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z zone controller work with SmartThings?

The dimmer is Cooper Industries model “Aspire RF9540-NDW Z-Wave Single-pole.” I purchased it from Staples. (Apparently they don’t have it in their stores; it must be ordered via its website.) I believe it is identical to the Cooper “Aspire RF9540-NAW” except for appearance, possibly altered to distinguish the Staples version from its own name brand(?). I installed it throughout our new condo and are very happy with it.

Thanks! I have Cooper dimmers in most rooms and love them - but only seen the curved designs before. Love the ones you found!

Cooper offers different styles of their switches. Nothing to do with Staples.

The two main shapes are the “decorator” and the “designer”. The suffix that you’re looking at just says what style/color of switch it is.

NAW is Alpine White and NDW is Decorator White. You can buy the same switches at many different retailers of Z wave products.

http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/wiringdevices/BuyersGuides/RBG/A/RBG-A-Sec-07.pdf

1 Like

Hmm, so is this what I need?

I can’t believe they charge over $200 for the device that makes their (already expensive) devices work… lol.

Do you know of any cheaper alternatives?

Thank you!!

Ah, that makes more sense. Thanks for the info.

Has anyone tried joining the Leviton USB stick to ST Hub V2?

I have a room full of Leviton devices including a number of controllers with complicated associations. I programmed the lot using my Lev USB stick and they were all working then tried joining V2s’ network (with the stick as secondary.) But no love- nothing transferred and ST won’t see the devices that were on the stick.

Tried adding one of those same devices to ST V2 after running a network repair on the stick and V2, but still nada.

That won’t work. You can add the stick to ST (I think), but only as a secondary controller. ST cannot see any of the devices programmed into the stick. You would have to add all of those devices to ST in order to use ST to control them. If you did that, you could probably get the stick to work as it does now. However, any changes to the switches made by the stick will not show up in ST; ST will not know the correct state of the device.

I figured as much when it failed. That sort of scenario worked with Vera - the devices would import when you included the stick- but then Vera has support for controllers. Kinda.
I’m really more interested in maintaining the ability to create the associations btwn my various devices which is what the Lev stick will do. However when its not primary it won’t do anything so adding the stick & devices to ST and attempting to configure them with the stick afterward doesn’t work.
There have been posts by others on the forum that imply this can be done somehow- (JD Roberts) so I hoped…
I’m not concerned about syncing state issue as I don’t plan on using the remote after programming.

The Aeon Minimote is able to create z-wave associations between devices. So it may be possible that this stick can do that as well. I don’t know. As with secondary controllers, ST cannot see the associations.

I Have a Leviton VRCZ4-MRZ that I am trying to get working!

I have 6 of VRCZ4-MRZ in my kitchen currently configured with homeseer and z-troller. Bought smartthings hub over Christmas and slowly experimenting to see if I can make the move away from homeseer. Leviton Vizia RF+ z-wave dimmers work fine.

Is there an official response from smartthings on this? If I can’t make these work, it would be a showstopper for me

As for official response, see the list of supported devices. I’m pretty sure VRCZ4 will not work with ST, but I may have missed someone figuring it out.

To clarify, this process lets me control my dimmers BOTH with the ST Hub AND with the in-wall button controller through association?

I know leviton and ST are working on a solution. So far I needed the leviton VRUSB and the installertool software to program the scenes.
I know it’s another step but you can program the buttons on the software. To preform a scene from the app duplicate it with an activity.
It’s under 100 solution to get those switches working

Hi Rob, how do you link the VRUSB to ST?

In case anyone here is interested, I was able to get limited capabilities in ST with the VRCZ4 by using the work listed here:

The Device Handler listed on that thread DOES work, but with the caveats mentioned in both threads regarding the inability to use the on/off capabilities of the Z model.

@Ash did you have any follow-up success here?

I just committed a first-cut DTH and SmartApp for the Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z, adapted from the VRCS4 modules by @ygelfand.

They seem to be working perfectly for on/off with my various Philips Hue bulbs and strips – still have to look at adding dimmer functionality. I’ve also left (most) of @ygelfand’s Z-Wave code in place, so it should be possible to support both Z-Wave Direct Association and plain-old SmartThings integration.

Will update the repository if/when I get dimmer functionality added.

2 Likes

Not much luck getting this to work. Feedback so far:

Device Driver:

• Icon seems to be too big (see screenshot)
  • Configure / Get my state buttons don’t seem do anything when tapped

App:

• Doesn’t seem to work, will update if I can get settings to save. No obvious error, but my switch has gone dumb (Neither individual device mappings or multi-device mappings seem to work, pushing buttons causes some light flashing but no changes in device states)
  • Will update if I can get it working…
  • Like the ability to assign multiple devices, are scenes a possibility?

1 Like

Update – I forked and turned debugging on. Error seems to be:

e3ff1dea-8ec6-4b6f-b6b5-4af81942f6c1 4:25:21 PM: error groovy.lang.MissingMethodException: No signature of method: java.lang.String.join() is applicable for argument types: (java.lang.String) values: [,]
Possible solutions: find(java.lang.String), count(java.lang.String), wait(), trim(), find(), wait(long) @line 60 (doCall)

Going to take a look if my terrible groovy skills can fix.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for giving it a go – happy to try to help you get it sorted.

That groovy error seems strange, as I don’t believe I’ve changed any code related to java.lang.String.join(). Can you give me more log context (i.e., when is this error occurring)?

Meanwhile, let me look through my code to see if I can’t locate where this error is happening…