Will the Leviton VRCZ4-M0Z zone controller work with SmartThings?

You mean “The Big Switch”? It’s an official ST app. Click the big plus sign in the iOS or Android ST app, open the search box and search for “The Big Switch”.

I know a bit of programing, so I’m gonna try to adapt your code for the VRCZ4-MRZ. If I can’t get it to work, would you be able to help me? I can send you a VRCZ4.

DM me on twitter: @NOTashwin

This does work. You are on the wrong thread. Go here: Leviton VRCS4

That thread is about the scene controller; I have a zone controller. Does the same code work for both?

Anybody had any luck with a VRCZ4 so far? The one with a “Z” not a “S”.
I have two of them and so far I’ve only been able to use the top button as a regular switch. I’ve tried Brian’s device type and app for the VRCS model and while it works as expected with an “S” model, it doesn’t work with a “Z”.

I’d be happy to pay a “bounty” to anyone who can make it work :smile:

I am another one hoping that I can use my VRCZ4-M0Z without investing a lot of time learning how to do some custom setup and programming. I am setting up a Leviton Visia RF + network and if ST won’t augment that I will have to return it.

There is a “scene” controller (VRC S 4) and a “zone” controller (VRC Z 4) and there are two different versions of each.

The -m R z is actually two physical devices inside one case, a relay switch so that button one can turn on and off the current flowing through the switch, and the multibutton “remote” that can be associated with zones/scenes. It has to be paired twice with a controller to get both types of functionality. (This is true whether you’re using SmartThings or not.) The
Leviton product description will say VRCZ4-MRZ “with switch.”

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=VRCZ4-MRZ&section=44147&minisite=10251

The -m 0 z does not have the relay switch. It only has to be paired once.

http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=VRCZ4-M0Z&section=44147&minisite=10251

The physical device itself does not have a way to include the relay switch. I’m not sure that can be done without a Leviton controller, or if it’s just an automatic follow on after including the multibutton “remote.”

Unfortunately, both models rely on scene control commands which SmartThings does not support, similar to the GE scene controllers. So you may eventually get it to pair as a switch, but you won’t be able to program the scene buttons.

http://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/288/pics

Has anyone successfully included the VRCZ4-MR4? If you did, it should show up as two different devices in the mobile app, an on/off switch and a zwave remote. The on/off may work, but the remote won’t.

At the time I first ordered ST, I also ordered the Leviton VRCZ4 and Leviton VRCS4 zone and scene controllers, assuming these would be among the most obvious devices to support. I was disappointed when I found no ST support. Still on my wall patiently waiting. :weary:

Writing a device type for scene and zone controllers is my next project when I’m done with this semester of school. I’ll keep you posted when I start making progress. In the meantime, you can use a 3rd party Z-Wave controller to directly associate those with your switches.

Thank you, Ashwin. That would be a valued public service! :relaxed:

i have had luck getting the zone and scene controllers to work in the system. ST hub can not control them or program them. how ever you can use the leviton programming tool to program them. they play nice in the system. the only down side is the hub does not talk to them, it can see them just not use them. i had to reset my entire system setting up the ST hub as the primary, and adding the leviton programmer as a secondary. once i did that you can program and do every thing as normal with the remote and the hub is just updated automatically. this is what i did

i think i have got it.

1 you have to reset up your system
2 reset all your switches and remotes
3 start by connecting one of your switches to the ST controller ( i think this starts a new network)
4 reset your leviton programming remote or usb
5 join the ST system with your leviton programming device
6 you can program the rest of your system with the remote or usb and the ST controller auto populates all the switches that you add using the programming device. you still have to go and include all the controllers and switches.

i did have to spend a day reprogramming my entire system but this made the ST hub work with the leviton vizia RF. you can not program the zone or scene Controllers with the ST hub you have to use the leviton programming device. but it all appears to work,

1 Like

i think i have got it. but you have to have the leviton programming device. ether the USB or the handheld remote

1 you have to reset up your system
2 reset all your switches and remotes
3 start by connecting one of your switches to the ST controller ( i think this starts a new network)
4 reset your leviton programming remote or usb
5 join the ST system with your leviton programming device
6 you can program the rest of your system with the remote or usb and the ST controller auto populates all the switches that you add using the programming device. you still have to go and include all the controllers and switches.

i did have to spend a day reprogramming my entire system but this made the ST hub work with the leviton vizia RF. you can not program the Controllers with the ST hub you have to use the leviton programming device. but it all appears to work,

So let me get this straight: You can get the VRCZ4 to work, but SmartThings won’t see the button presses from the VRCZ4?

that is correct, with the leviton programmer as a secondary you can program the switch and associate it with any thing you want just as they were designed. so if its turning on a set of lights it does that like normal. and if you watch you app for ST it will show the change. also if your zone controller has a switch the ST hub will see it as a standard switch.

so basically the smart things controller can only control the switches on, off and dim. so i use those functions to automate every thing. in my house in particular i have all my switches on the back wall (custom wired) for every light in my 45 light system. and by the doors and other places i have the scene and zone controllers to turn the lights on and off as programmed. that being said my goal was just to integrate the smart things in to my existing system. and still have the functionality of my original system just had to reprogram every thing with the ST hub as the primary controller. it also plays nice with the leviton Lumia controller if you have that also.

in the end your ST hub can not command or program a zone or a scene button. you need the leviton remote or USB to program it. i am still playing with it and seeing what else i can do.

So from the perspective of this device being used as a button controller for SmartThings (independent of its visia RF functions), it still is not compatible.

well if you want to get fancy you can do a few things. one idea is program those buttons to flip switch (maybe a cheap z-wave switch from amazon) , and tell the ST hub to look at that switch and respond. but as a direct command i have not found a way yet.

Pretty sure this is working the same way the GE secondaries do:

1. program the secondary controller using a nonST primary that can do scene commands and replication

2. add the secondary controller to ST, which will recognize it as a zwave device but won’t get any updates from it, nor acknowledge it as a button controller

3. directly associate the secondary with individual zwave devices

Now you can use the secondary to control those specific individual devices, but the hub won’t know what it does.

The biggest advantage is that the secondary can be associated with some end devices on ST’s zwave network. So you get parallel methods of control.

Whether the synchronization issues bug you or not just depend on the use case.

And unlike button controllers, the secondary is limited to controlling zwave devices it can be associated with. It can’t change modes, control ZIgbee devices, control cloud to cloud devices, or run hello home actions.

So integration, but pretty limited.

Hi @rastasclayton - did you have any further luck getting the VRCZ4 to play nicely with ST? (i.e. get the button presses seen by the Hub)

Has anyone tried with Hub v2?

Thanks!

OT… @MagicMarker - what dimmers are you using in the image you posted on Apr. 24?? I like the way they look!

no it will not talk to the hub, from what i found they have their own layer of " viza RF" or language, i called and talk to a tech. i have several that have switches (VRCZ4) in them, and you can interact whit them.

the other function that the Vizia RF has are “scenes” and it will set all the switches to a scene preset dim level.

the hub works well with the system to automate things, i like that. but you still need the Vizia RF programmer.

as for V2 i bought it but may return it, i am not happy that i will have to reset all my system to use it. so unless it talks to the Vizia RF system i am going to keep the gen 1 as i have 50 or so nodes. and dont want to reprogram them all. i wish there was a function to change hub and not set them all up again.

i am using the leviton dimmers