What's this in a device's event log, something new? (x device is a other of x device?)

Check this out. I was checking one of my zigbee device’s event log, and saw this:

and this:

I wonder if the ST guys may actually make available a zigbee mesh diagram and/or routing table?!

The device(s) above are GE Zigbee switches, but my Iris wall plugs are also doing this:

Sibling? Here’s one of my Halo Smoke detectors:

@tpmanley

2 Likes

Man, there’s no sneaking anything past this community :sweat_smile:

What you are seeing is a side effect of some work I did back around the 0.25 release laying some initial ground work for us to explore potential tools to more easily debug Zigbee connectivity/mesh/device issues. I can not confirm or deny if this involves a Zigbee mesh diagram and/or routing table :wink:

These events would have started to show up in the IDE event logs with the most recent hub FW update and to be entirely honest this was not an intended feature. I would not expect them to stick around long term as these messages can be very misleading and on their own do not provide enough information to understand how your Zigbee mesh is routing messages.

10 Likes

I see that some part of it has reached the IDE as Next Hop. Looks great!

2 Likes

I noticed that yesterday but I saw it mentioned in another thread suggesting it has been around at least a week or two. I am hoping it has what I assume is the obvious meaning as it could be quite useful. It can also be quite intriguing to discover the next hop for a sensor about eighteen inches from the hub is a smart plug about fifteen feet away.

I believe I also saw certain devices being flagged as routers in the device data. I hadn’t noticed that before either.

2 Likes

It was silently released a couple weeks ago and I’ve been (impatiently) waiting for it to be discovered by some community members :smiley:

The value you are seeing is going to be the “next hop” that a specific device will use to route messages back to the hub. In regards to exactly why a sensor close to the hub is going to route through a far away router is extremely difficult to say, and this sort of “magic” is one of the reasons we have hesitated to make a feature such as this publicly available.

Another thing to note: the value shown in the IDE for the next hop is currently updated every 20min. We are exploring speeding this up, but for now don’t expect to walk around your house with a sensor and see it’s “next hop” change in the IDE in real time :slight_smile:

EDIT: Also worth noting that this is only going to show up for Zigbee devices currently

6 Likes

I was actually in the process of proclaiming my heroic discovery of the ‘next hop’ when I double checked the forum, found a much earlier throwaway previous mention of it , and hit the cancel button.

My ‘magic’ routing is probably down to moving outlets around. It may have been a few feet away in the same room previously and that probably trumps eighteen inches via a brick wall. That and it being an Aqara sensor …

1 Like

I am waiting for the “map” feature… :wink:

1 Like

This is neat to have! Just discovered this, and didn’t remember seeing anyone else mention it so I thought I might be the first. Luckily I did a search before I posted!

This will definitely help people troubleshoot things!

1 Like

@BroderickCarlin is this live on all shards?

This is very sexy Mr Carlin, great work :+1:
All we need now is a backup/restore tool, Z-Wave OTA updates, and the new Rules API implemented and we’re all set!

1 Like

It should be live across all shards, but is currently only supported by our v2 and v3 hubs.

4 Likes

This is really cool! Just went through a bunch of devices and it seems like all of my plug-in or hard-wired devices are “hopping” directly to the Hub. Most of the other devices are only 1 hop away from the Hub through the device that is closet to it which are then connected directly to the Hub.

I don’t really have mesh issues as I have a very good blend of Zigbee and Z-Wave devices.

Will this be implemented to Z-Wave devices as well?

2 Likes

Rules API is live already. Now up to the devs to use it.

1 Like

Z-Wave has a bit more complexity because of the way that Z-Wave routing is done. Zigbee will always follow a “tree” structure that is the result of each node in the mesh recording only the next hop back to the hub. For Z-Wave you have each device storing the entire route back to the hub that it will use for routing messages. This means that 2 Z-Wave device’s can have the same “parent” but route their messages to the hub through different paths. Displaying this in a way that makes sense and doesn’t just cause more confusion is proving to be non-trivial :stuck_out_tongue:

TLDR; yes, it is coming :slight_smile:

8 Likes

This is awesome, and thanks for the 20 minute info. Even so, I’m finding a couple of cases where Next Hop doesn’t update after switching repeaters. (I’m using XCTU and an XBee to map mesh). Maybe because they’re Xiaomis? It seems to be the exception, though!

Love that you’re planning on doing it in z-wave too! Although I’ve been mapping Zigbee for a while with an XBee, there don’t really seem to be any really good DIY options for Zwave (at least in terms of software).

Is the “Next hop” field going to be added to the Smartthings REST API device response anytime soon? https://smartthings.developer.samsung.com/docs/api-ref/st-api.html#tag/devices

Thanks,

JD

1 Like

No; I do not anticipate that it will be added to the REST API. I can assure you though that we have more coming down the pipe related to this :wink:

3 Likes

Zigbee map? Zigbee map. ZIGBEE MAP! (I guess.)

2 Likes

I was surprised at how few of my devices were routers and inversely how many of my devices were directly connected to the hub. I have 39 zigbee devices, but only 6 are routing other devices.

The device routing the most is a Jasco (GE) Energy Monitoring Plug (6 devices). In fact, 4 of the 6 routers are the same type of plug. The other 2 are Jasco wall switches.

Some devices are taking really unexpected routes. I guess, if it works, right?

**Edit for misspelling

2 Likes