Whats happening with Alexa Integration for UK/EU Hubs

alexa

(Sam Machin) #1

Are ST even bothering to look at this? Its now been several months at least and still no support for Alexa because of the dumb way they’ve built their back end architecture…

And before someone says Echo is US only I know, but Alexa which is the service we’re talking about here is avalible without using the Echo, there are already 3rd party Alexa clients available globally…

Really unimpressed with the ST stuff, so much stuff just doesn’t quite work properly :frowning:

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #2

Alexa (Amazon Echo) is not on the Works With SmartThings compatible / supported list (not even with the “labs” footnote), so you should have been fully aware of this at the time of purchase.

EDIT: SmartThings prominently claims compatibility in their blog, so, … :egg: on my :sweat:.

Considering the effort SmartThings needs to focus on platform stability, I think it is perfectly understandable, reasonable, and very good business strategy to de-prioritize officially unsupported features and integrations … don’t you think?

In this case, I don’t know what role Amazon plays in developing and maintaining this integration. SmartThings has published a sufficient procedure for 3rd party services (like SmartTiles, any many more) to handle the cross-boarder sharding / domain URL requirements. If the integration code is Amazon’s responsibility, then Amazon Echo / Alexa customers should request Amazon implement the new specifications. Otherwise … it will go somewhere low on the SmartThings todo list.

(Geko) #3

It may not be on the list (because nobody bothered to update the list?) but Amazon Echo is officially supported device, not a hack, not a test, not a “lab”. Let me quote:

We’re excited to announce that SmartThings is now compatible with Amazon Echo!

Amazon Echo / Alexa customers should request Amazon implement the new specifications.

Somehow I believe that Echo will soon have (if not already) many more customers than SmartThings. I don’t think Amazon is under any pressure to change their specification to accommodate SmartThings ineptitude.

(ActionTiles.com co-founder Terry @ActionTiles; GitHub: @cosmicpuppy) #4

Serves me right for going out on a limb and defending SmartThings for once.

Guess I won’t do that again for a while.

V[quote=“geko, post:3, topic:38583, full:true”]

It may not be on the list (because nobody bothered to update the list?) but Amazon Echo is officially supported device, not a hack, not a test, not a “lab”. Let me quote:

[/quote]

Only for the US, not the UK.

The SmartThings/echo integration is not an Alexa “skill.” It is an official echo integration in the “connected home” category. Consequently it can only be offered in countries where Echo is sold by Amazon.

I know it’s frustrating–Echo is great, with or without SmartThings. But only Amazon can make the decision to offer it in the UK. So they’re the ones to write about it.

See the following thread for more discussion: