WEMO Mini does it work with ST?

Cross post: Has anyone here gotten the Wemo dimmer switch to work with ST? I dont think the current wemo DH is set up for dimming so I assumed not.

Will test this tonight.

Worked exactly as you described.
Is now connected to Wemo Min switch.
Works.

I can also confirm that it is working with ST. I blocked Wemo mini from accessing the internet at the firewall and it still seems to work, too. Lowe’s website has them for $14 so I went to the much closer Home Depot and asked for a price match and was able to get them for $13.60!

2 Likes

Excellent digging!! I was troubleshooting why my Wemo devices couldn’t be rediscovered by SmartThings (they were stable for over a year until they dropped off). Turns out that sections of my network (Powerline ethernet portion) had trouble passing on UDP multicast packets. Placed the SmartThings hub elsewhere, and BAM! Found all my Wemo devices easily.

Thanks for the multicast help ShadowVlican. My problem was not related to PoE, but my router was blocking multicast packets from LAN to Wireless LAN. I couldn’t discover my Wemo Switch or my Sonos through SmartThings. One quick router firmware update later and everything popped up perfectly.

Router: TP-Link Archer C7 HardwareV2
Firmware: 2013___ to 2018____ (latest from support site)

I just did the same thing. Just “Add a Thing” and it showed up.

Without installing the wemo app? Just native with smartthings, is it zwave? I tried the kasada but didn’t like having to have tplink account here, ST app there so I returned it. Looking for a cheap navite small plug.

The WeMo Mini is WiFi and will require its own app as will all WiFi plugs except for the SmartThings WiFi plug. That specific model does not require even a smartthings hub.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SMARTPLUG-GP-WOU019BBAWU-Outlet-SmartThings/dp/B07PY4YPTF/

Otherwise look for zigbee or zwave plugs to work with a SmartThings hub. For a very inexpensive very simple plug, the IKEA Tradfri works well. Buy directly from Ikea for the best price.

For a fancier plug with two outlets and more features, the Zooz zen25 zwave Device is very popular.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/products/zooz-z-wave-plus-s2-double-plug-zen25-with-usb-port

Both of these connect directly to the smartthings hub and do not require a separate app.

Thx. 18 bucks for the Samsung one is fine, for some reason I saw some wifi Samsung’s that I wasn’t sure about. Need something that’ll allow me to use both wall plugs and has a front outlet because I’m pluging in a power supply to my led strip lights that’s probably too wide to fit in the zooz sideways. These look like they’ll stack too so I can get 2 if needed. Option B get an outlet.

Ikea one seems great for 10 bucks. Size looks good but doesn’t seem as small as the Samsung.

1 Like

I did have to install the wemo app and configured the plug to connect to my wi-fi .

1 Like

Perhaps I misunderstood. I ordered the Samsung one thinking it was native but it wants me to connect to my Samsung account and select my wifi so it’s no different than the wemo. I like the size but really want zwave not wifi.