Wait for 2.0 or jump in?

I recently moved into a house and have a bunch of devices to connect up to my hub. 48 door/window, 10 smoke detectors, some water, etc.

I’m debating whether to set up everything and then switch when the 2.0 hub comes out or just hold on and wait for the 2.0 hub.

Suggestions? Any idea how easy it will be to move things over or will it be a disconnect/reconnect and basically setting everything up again?

Thanks

Josh

Sounds like there will be no migration tool at launch and all devices will have to be added fresh (disconnect/reconnect). I am OK with that because sometimes a fresh start is a good thing.

1 Like

Thanks… Not ideal but thanks.

Lots of discussion in the forums on this topic: it’s been asked literally about once a week since last October.

The answer is no one can say for sure. No one knows exactly when the new Hub will come out, or exactly what features it will have, and no one knows exactly how difficult it will be to go from a V1 hub to the V2 hub, except for the fact that there isn’t going to be an easy migration utility at the time of launch. Lots of guesses, no actual answers yet.

So it’s really just up to you. Will you get enough value out of setting up now to make up for any potential headaches in starting over when hub 2 comes out? That’s more an aggravation issue than it is a real physical one, and I say that as a person with a lot of physical limitations.

If it was me, I would set up hub one now if I had it, but I didn’t buy anything until I had a real an immediate use for it. So everybody’s going to be different. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you for your suggestions. I think I’ll set it up and play around. Make some notes and when it comes time to set it up again It’ll go much faster (hopefully).

In my opinion, Smartthings is the worst about giving any predictions or information to its customers. It’s just frustrating. The only reason I’m still using it, is because no one came with something better on a technology point. Even Comcast has better consumer relations.

Here’s my two cents.

Jump in now. Get a hub v1.

Just realize that if you want a hub v2 when it comes out (who knows when) you might have to reset up everything.

That isn’t that big of a deal.

Yeah, its a weekend project, but getting all the learning out of the way with hub v1 will only make things better if/when you jump to a hub v2.

Why wait? The hub is only $99 (and I’m sure cheaper used) so the risk is 20 cups of coffee at Starbucks.

Just remember, start with one device at a time, don’t try to tackle everything at once.

4 Likes

You must be joking about that. First off, Comcast is horrible. They might tell you something but you know it’s not going to likely be true. No one in their right mind, unless something is baked and ready to go, will give out release dates. You must not be in any kind of software or hardware industry that continually releases new things.

Things change, something might appear ready except for that one last test to do and then that fails and it not only requires a fix but now a regression test around all the other pieces that that one fix changed.

1 Like

totally agree, jump in. Nobody lives forever, and $100 is not a big deal. At least the sensors can be re-used. In the meantime, maybe you early-detect a water leak.

Wow if you could find a used one that would be smart.

me not so smart

1 Like

Exactly and:

You can get a discount code from anyone who is already a customer to save 10%, making the hub 89.00

1 Like

One thing about setting up now: you should be able to do any necessary work to get the mesh strong for both Zigbee and zwave devices. That won’t likely change if you swap out the hub.

Just some examples from my own house: i had problems with the status on my lock being inaccurate until I swapped a couple of appliance modules around so that I had a beaming repeater Close to the door.

I had problems with one of three GE link bulbs (which one varied it could’ve been any of the three) dropping off the network. I played around with this for about six weeks and finally solved it easily and permanently by adding two more GE links and then healing the network. I think it was a bottleneck issue, those can happen in zigbee. But regardless once fixed, it stayed fixed, so I’m happy now.

I’ve had various problems with boosted Wi-Fi causing interference for Zigbee devices. I’ve mentioned before that I have a Wi-Fi booster on my own network and have found that if I put it on one wall all the zigbee devices beyond that point lose contact with the smart things network. But if I move the booster to the opposite wall in the same room, all the zigbee devices work fine. Easy fix once I found it, but it took a couple of days to find it.

I did a lot of experimenting with ibeacons to get them set up the way I wanted them. I’m sure other people would have similar issues with motion detectors and with cameras. That has nothing to do with interference, it just has to do with finding the correct trigger range for the use cases you want.

So those kind of device placement issues will be true regardless of which hub you have, and once you fix them, the solution should likely be the same as well. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Also get an aeon minimote and pairing again is not so painful but waiting for hub V2 is.

2 Likes

I forgot to mention that I already have the V1 hub. I just hadn’t hooked it up yet, well 5 door sensors so far, and wanted to see if it was worth the time to set up the 48 windows?

Appreciate all the help though.

Exclude, include, for each zwave device.

As Ray said, the Minimote can really speed this up, but only for zwave devices. For zigbee, you’ll have to do a factory reset on each device, then pair to the hub again.

So think about keeping the zigbee devices physically easy to move.

2 Likes

Out of curiosity and not to hijack the thread but what is the procedure for pairing zwave devices using a minimote? Thanks!

You pair the devices to the hub and then the minimote to the hub and when setting up the minimote it asks you what you want the buttons to do.

There are more advanced ways as well which I’m reading about Scene Controller and Button Controller but I’m not there yet.

Uggh… Didn’t know that about Zigbee. Oh well. Looks like I"m putting a 200 ft ethernet cable on my Smartthings Hub and walking around with it.

You can have more then one hub for devices. No reason all your devices can’t stay on hub v1 and just move over the critical ones to hub v2 when you buy it.

It is not going to be a requirement (I assume) to move all your devices from one hub to another on day one.

Sorry I think my post was confusing. I was referring to the method @Navat604 mentioned below.

There are controller buttons for include, exclude, and associate inside the slider compartment of the Minimote:

It only works for zwave devices, not zigbee.

1 Like