Vera Edge with Wink Hubs to SmartThings V2 Only - Zwave Issues

I am moving from My Vera Edge with 3 Wink Hubs to a SmartThing V2, and it has been an interesting adventure. Adding the SmartThing into the existing Z-wave network was a snap, but I found I had issues with trying to get updates to the new SmartThings hub. So after talking with my co-workers I started to make it simpler, I started by removing my GE ZigBee Lights to the SmartThings hub, other than walking around the house and swapping the light bulbs no big deal, In fact I found that I moved them around to keep their mesh network closer to the hub, No problem there. After the were out of the picture, I no longer need the Wink Hubs, so out they came. No real big issues there, I had to pick up some Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Smart Switch 6 to fill in the gaps in the network but no big deal, I added them into the Vera Edge with no problem, and set them up in the SmartThings API without to many issues, it took a bit to find a good device type. The last step was removing the Vera Edge, I performed a Controller Swap, and then shut it down, Things worked for a bit, and then I started having issues. Most of the devices moved over fine, but… My Front light Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave LED Light Bulb, and Kwikset 910 Z-Wave both started having issues, The light was the first one to have issues, and it just would not report back it status, then about 3 days later the door lock stopped reporting back, it would lock and unlock, it would accept new pin codes, but it would never change status. After 2 days of trying to get to work with z-wave network repairs, and other things. I gave up I tried to unpair and re-connect the lock, but no luck… It see the entry to remove the device, but it will not allow it to reconnect. After a few hours of trying the UPS man showed up, with 3 Enerwave ZWN-BPC Z-wave motion sensors. So I thought maybe there is something wrong with the lock, let me try and add these to my network… No luck!!! I can not add them either…

Here is the current state of the zwave device in my SmarThings hub according to the api website.

zwaveControllerStatus: 1B
zwaveHomeID: (Hidden) Starts with E
zwaveNodeID: 12
zwavePowerLevel: 0
zwaveRegion: 1
zwaveSerialVersion: 0
zwaveSucID: 0F
zwaveVersion: 0000

Ideas??? Suggestions ??? What should I try next ???

Smartthings can function as a secondary zwave controller to another primary, which is what you had set up originally.

However, it does not support controller shift. So when you removed the vera, you removed the primary controller. The smartthings Zwave controller inside the hub is continuing to perform secondary function, but there just isn’t a primary controller on the network. That’s probably causing what you’re seeing.

The only way to resolve this is to start over. You have to exclude all the Zwave devices individually, reset the hub, and then re-add them individually to the smartthings hub controller.

I know that will seem strange coming from the Vera environment where controller shifts are common, but it has to do with the multiprotocol architecture used with SmartThings.

The Smartthings hub itself probably has to be excluded, which you can do with your old Vera or a minimote, and then reset, but it won’t be ready to take on primary control functions while it still thinks it belongs to the Vera.

Essentially you’re In exactly the same situation as someone migrating devices from a v1 SmartThings hub to a v2 SmartThings hub. So you might want to read up on that.

I’m sorry, I’m sure that’s not the answer you wanted to hear.

It looks like the primary controller shift didn’t go through. (If you haven’t rebooted the hub since the shift, do that to make extra sure that data is up to date.) I think you should be able to get it to work, though JDRoberts is right that we don’t officially support controller shift and currently don’t provide a way to do a shift from the hub to another controller.

The zwaveSucID is the primary controller, so if node 0F is not available, the hub will not be able to include devices. Was the Vera Edge node 0F?

1 Like

It just brought up the vera edge, and it was node 1, It looks like one of my wink hubs is 0F (15) and I am going to try and bring it online, and perform the shift. I will update everyone I am done.

1 Like

It looks like after a lot of button mashing I was able to have the Wink Hub to release the master controller, and my smart hub v2 is in control, I am now able to add the motion sensors, tomorrow, I will pull the lock apart and try to re-sync it.

Here is the current controller state on the api website.

zwaveControllerStatus: 13
zwaveHomeID: (Hidden) Starts with E
zwaveNodeID: 12 
zwavePowerLevel: 0
zwaveRegion: 1
zwaveSerialVersion: 0
zwaveSucID: 12
zwaveVersion: 0000
1 Like

@sidjohn1, I was able to get Enerwave ZWN-BPC Z-wave Ceiling Mounted, Battery Powered PIR Sensor to connect I will let you know how it works out over the next few days.

The Kwikset 910 Z-Wave is now working correctly with one small exception, it is not reporting back its battery levels, but that is a different issue.

@JDRoberts, and @duncan Thank you for your help!

1 Like

I have the Lock and Front light working, but I am still fighting with the Motion Sensors… They are reporting back the battery status, but nothing about motion :frowning: It is almost like they don’t know to send the motion status. Does anyone know how I can set values or ping them via z-wave?