V3 migration- Phillips hue smart strip

I recently had a v2 SmartThings hub go down after a recent power outage. I purchased a V3 replacement. So far I have been able to get everything switched over except my Phillips hue smart strips.

I have 4 strips that in the past I have controlled with a v2 SmartThings hub. When they were purchased I had no problem setting them up with the classic app. With the v3 hub I cannot find them with the classic or new app.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here? I am assuming they need reset in order to connect to the new hub. I have been unsuccessful in finding a way to get them reset. I have tried power cycling. I also have read something about a remote but I don’t have one. Is there any other way? I’m not completely against a hue bridge if that’s what it will take to get them working.

Hue devices do not reset with power cycling.

do you happen to know what zigbee channel your old smartthings hub used? If you are lucky and it happened to be a ZLL channel, you have a few more choices for how to reset.

Otherwise, your best bet is to get a hue dimmer switch (you won’t need a bridge for this) and you will be able to reset them that way.

Turn the Lightstrip on and hold your Dimmer Switch close to it. Press the ON and OFF button at the same time for 15 seconds till the Lightstrip and the Dimmer Switch flash.

Even better, if you have a friend who can just loan you one, you only need it for about 15 minutes one time. You don’t have to add it to your SmartThings account or anything if you are just going to use it to reset the strips. :sunglasses:

https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Hue-Dimmer-Installation-Free-Exclusive/dp/B0167Z0P3I/ref=asc_df_B0167Z0P3I/

I don’t know anyone that has one so I just ordered one. I will see how it goes in a few days. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

Just remember that the protocol for these devices is called “touchlink”. You want to have the dimmer switch really close to the strip that you are trying to reset, definitely no more than a couple of inches away. :sunglasses:

The remote came today. I got everything reset. After the reset I was able to add the hue smartstrips to my hub. Thank you for the help.

2 Likes