Using a door contact as motion....sort of

I have an issue I’m not sure how to solve.
Back story: I have a hard wired alarm system with door and window sensors and one, very good motion sensor. I purchased many boxes of GoControl kits (2 contacts and 1 motion). I decided to play with the idea of hard wiring the contacts into my alarm panel, one contact per zone. Well, it worked. Very well I might add. So I got cocky and added one to the motion zone. It too worked. But as you might guess, in SmartThings app, instead of showing “motion or no motion” it showed “open or closed”. Not a big deal but I thought I might try and fix it. I edited the device handler and changed every instance of open to motion and closed to no motion. I updated the handler and it worked. Except for one thing. In SHM, I have two instances of the device. 1 that reads open or closed,(it thinks its a contact) the other motion/no motion. This does not show as a device anywhere else but in the SHM under Right Now tab and it shows up on SmartTiles. It does not show in the IDE at all. Even in the log of the device it only shows one instance of the device as motion/no motion. Any Idea how to get this “Ghost” out of those two areas? It really does no harm. I should also mention that where it does show as a contact, it does not respond to anything. In other words, it does not register as open or closed. It does nothing.
Anyone have any thoughts on this? Let me know if you want to see the DH and I’ll post.

Did you change the " capability"?

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/capabilities-reference.html?highlight=capability

I’m pretty sure SHM reports on all sensors of a specific device class together, which means it just pulls them by capability. If you didn’t remove the door control or contact sensor capability, it will get pulled into that group.

Thank you. I posted in Mike_Maxwell’s uDTH thread about my issue and he suggested the same thing. I did change the capability of the device. I basically took out every mention of contact, open and close and changed it to motion, active and inactive. My problem goes away when I change SHM to all devices so I think its just some orphaned code stuck in the cloud somewhere. I need to figure out how to wipe SHM and start over. When I switch to all devices and switch back to individually selected, it keeps my settings. Nice feature most of the time.

1 Like

You know there are two capabilities for that device class, right, contact.sensor and door something? Just being thorough. :wink:

No I didn’t know that. I am by no means a coder. I think most is fairly straight forward to understand (not create) but there us much I have no idea what it is.
This is what I have for capabilities:
definition (name: “Z-Wave Motion Sensor Relay”, namespace: “smartthings”, author: “James”) {
capability "Motion Sensor"
capability "Sensor"
capability "Battery"
capability “Configuration”

This is the only reference I can now find for door. But it doesn’t look like it pertains to my situation. :confused:
fingerprint deviceId: “0x0701”, inClusters: “0x5E,0x72,0x5A,0x80,0x73,0x86,0x84,0x85,0x59,0x71,0x70,0x7A,0x98” // Vision door/window