Update to SmartThings Groovy Transition

I’ll stick to my.smartthings.com
I am pretty sure this will improve over time.

You could add a virtual switch to your routine to act as a failsafe timer. Something like:

• On the door closed routine, set a virtual switch to closed, with a re-open-in (XX times 3) setting.
  • On your auto lock routine, have it check if the virtual is closed for XX minutes.
  • Add another routine that if the lock is successfully locks, and the door is closed, open the failsafe virtual, cancelling it.

It will stop trying to lock once the virtual timer expires and it re-opens.

You can often use virtual switches in this manner. They work great as timers, boolean state variables, etc.

5 Likes

It does not work. That’s probably the first thing I tried. When the routine which tries to auto lock starts it caches probably the IF conditions and does not check anymore if the underlying device status changed.

Thus, even if the virtual device toggles its state, from on to off or vice versa due to expiry, the auto routine continues to run.

Thanks and regards,

Baivab

My wifi hub still says it doesn’t support edge drivers. I have a support ticket and they have been no help at all. The only reason I used the smartthings hubs is so I can have connected control displays. If anyone knows of a good alternative to this besides smartthings, please let me know.

1 Like

Usually the best alternative to the SmartThings WiFi mesh hubs is pretty much any other popular WiFi mesh system and a SmartThings/Aeotec V3 hub.

You get all the same SmartThings features, better edge driver support, and usually WiFi mesh that doesn’t require a constant cloud connection.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeotec-SmartThings-Gateway-Compatible-Assistant/dp/B08TWDNQ5Q/

You only need one Aeotec hub. If you were using the repeating capabilities of the subhubs, you can just put a zigbee and a zwave smart plug in that area and get same repeating effect.

There’s no migration utility, though, so you do have to rebuild your Network from scratch, which is annoying. But feature wise, it should be pretty straightforward. It does require some additional devices than your previous set up, but it should work better.

Otherwise why don’t you start a new thread and give details on what you want for “connected control displays” and people can help you there. :thinking:

tagging @nayelyz

1 Like

I have two SmartThings V3 hubs. They work fine with my displays. Just can’t install any edge drivers. Maybe they need a firmware update, but can’t figure out how to make that happen. Support doesn’t seem to understand the issue. It’s frustrating.

Ah— that’s an entirely separate issue. I know some other people have reported it, but I don’t know what the current diagnosis is. I’m sure it’s very frustrating. :rage:

1 Like

what is the firmware version of your hub?

model numbers for the hubs? 43.5 sounds like the firmware for the ST Wi-Fi mesh router with plume. if you have the v3, you are definitely behind but
i believe that version handles Edge drivers. 45.x is the latest for the v2/v3 hubs with 46.x currently in beta testing.

3 Likes

As @jkp says, that doesn’t sound like a V3 hub. Can you tell us the model numbers? They should be on the underside of each hub.

The following page in the community - created wiki lists the model numbers for each hub.

https://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=Hubs

1 Like

Model # ET-WV525 I thought it was a V3, could be wrong. It says SmartThings Wi-Fi on the back. Thanks for your help.

Not a V3. That’s a “Samsung WiFi with Plume”, and they have known issues with edge drivers right now. :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Thanks! That explains it.

1 Like

My ST Wi-fi hub with 43.5 is running Edge drivers with no problems.

2 Likes

It’s not that everyone has problems, but a number of people have had. There are multiple threads in the forum about the issues.

I think it is unreasonable to ask people to buy another $120 Hub and a new wifi mesh system that can cause a few hundred dollars as well. I bought the wifi hub a few years ago, on a great discount from home depot, specifically to avoid spending all of the money. If the hub is not supported, Samsung needs to just come out and sunset the device. If it is supported, they can’t move forward with this migration with these issues. I am struggling as well with many edge drivers (not all), specifically Lan based drivers and some drivers that requires functionality from a recent firmware update to the v3, but not uub.

1 Like

If you’re in the US, get a used V2 hub from eBay for around $20-$25. Use your existing device for your WiFi unless you would rather something else. Solving your problem for a few dollars is sometimes easier than trying to keep with principal.

4 Likes

Not sure I would recommend a V2 to anyone. First, you would might need to deal with the registration code and second, it is a 7 year old hub at this point with no thread (but it is still supported at this point). Plus the other nasty possibilities that could pop up… did the seller remove it from their account and have they updated the hub within the past few years. Just my opinion :slight_smile:

Work with ST support to resolve your issue. I posted a link above so there may or may not be a possible resolution (may or may not be the same issue) so hopefully @nayelyz can offer assistance during the week.