UPDATE: Recent SmartThings User Experience & Platform Performance

Correct: only hub v2 can run anything locally. All v1 operation is in the cloud.

As for tagging what is eligible to run locally, only SmartThings themselves can do it and it’s a very short list because under their current architecture everything that can run locally gets pushed out in firmware to every single hub v2 customer in the region. So all US v two customers or all v2 UK customers. it requires a hub firmware update. This is why the list is so short.

Smartthings support can tag one of your locally running smart apps (for now, basically just smart lighting automations that only use local devices) and have it run in the cloud, which they do sometimes when they get a weird error that they can’t figure out. It’s not clear whether they can then ever send it back to running locally or not, or whether it can be done in a future firmware update. I just don’t know on that one.

Anyway, if you want to see more detailed discussion of local processing, there’s a good topic in the developer section of the forum:

In my example, they moved them to the cloud. denied they could assign them. But, they are back.
Maybe they never moved them. Maybe one of the very diligent folks did it themselves. No way of knowing.

1 Like

Please tell me that’s a joke… You’re kidding right? Please oh please tell me you’re kidding.

Here, this thread will help… It explains everything.

3 Likes

When ‘they’ moved mine to the cloud, all they did is rename the device handler. To make Smart Lighting run local all I had to do, was to pick the local eligible handler again in ide…

3 Likes

@SBDOBRESCU you should get paid for doing their job!

1 Like

I do get the perspective. I wish the community of communities (on all the subjects I’m interested in anyway), especially the top folks who know all and spend SO much time helping would instead, keep up a wiki and just point to it. A wiki is a much more efficient method to keep, find and reuse the body of knowledge. It’s the instant gratification of writing a quick note that causes us all to spend probably twice the time here!

So, on the subject of Local Access, I have some monoprice motion sensors that I would like temp sensor ability, the problem is, if I use custom device, I lose the local ability, if I have use it as a zwave sensor, I lose the temp and battery, is there one that works as local with both battery and temp indicator?

SmartThings has a community-created wiki! New contributors are always welcome! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I migrated to Hub v2 over the weekend. When I came home yesterday my den lights wouldn’t turn on with motion. Updating Smart Lighting app didn’t fix. Moving to Lighting Director did fix.

Then I realized my Away mode smart lighting power allowance smartapp was turning off the lights ever 7 minutes even though I was in home mode. I had to remove that locally running smartapp to get the lights to stay on when in home mode.

Then this morning my den lights kept turning off again. This time my Night mode power allowance was executing even though I was in Home mode.

Conclusion, the local hub thinks it’s still in night mode, or at least the locally running apps are not recognizing the right mode state. But the location did indeed switch to mode=Home as seen in mobile app and reported in Notifications history when mode changing routines successfully run. Switching to cloud based smartapps avoids these failures.

I just ripped the freakin’ wires out.
I work from home
Mode = Home
SHM going off, texts, lights.
Mode = Home… Mode = Home…

1 Like

That’s aweful.

I feel you. I think if there was a better consumer HA option, 75% of the folks would have already done just that.

I went on hiatus for awhile, after spending countless hours getting this setup, I just went in standby mode and silenced almost of all of smartthings so I didn’t have to interact with it.

Came back and apparently things have gotten worse. I still haven’t resurrected most of my system. But it still has some basic things that are haunting me, such as turning off my bed fan in the middle of the night.

Hopefully ST gets it right. This market is hot and there will be viable contenders. If ST doesn’t pull it together one day they will wake up and there will be a mass exodus kicked off by the introduction of a better option. It won’t be a slow bleed, it will be dead before it knew it was cut.

2 Likes

Thanks, JH1. I got over it this evening. Very bad timing and an bizarre logical error.
I know what I am into here. I have a LOT of devices and even my wife enjoys/expects it.
In the shadow of the non-elastic, pseudo-Cloud issues and other reliability problems, my temporary limit was reached.

1 Like

I am just about done with this. :angry:

The latest update was good for about two days, and since then pretty much every Zigbee device I have is misbehaving in some way. Yesterday two of my OSRAM recessed lights refused to respond and had to be re-paired. Today two GE Link bulbs and three Cree bulbs dropped off and became unresponsive. Nothing in the logs. I tried resetting/re-pairing and they won’t even re-pair. Now they’re completely useless. The GE bulbs blink three times but the pairing never completes. The Cree bulbs don’t even do that.

I figure I spend about 1.5 hours a day trying to keep my 20-odd lights functioning. That’s a bit much, even for an avid hobbyist like myself. Short of just throwing the hub into the pond out back, anybody got any information that could be useful in this case?

And, yes, I sent an email to support. And, I got the auto-reply. With warm regards. As if…

I have my bulbs connected to ST via Hue hub, it’s fairly reliable. Aside from ST cloud hiccups, Hue connection is solid. I haven’t lost one bulb from Hue mesh in a year.

2 Likes

V1 or V2 hub? I am only curious because I don’t see devices drop. I only have about 40 physical devices and a V1 hub. I see a lot of people talking about device dropouts and if this is V2, that adds another check mark for me to stay with my V1 hub.

I’ll second that, works for me on v2 ST hub, v1 Hue bridge. GE links also, only refreshes status every 5 minutes, I can live with that.

I set up a rule to run a custom command, refresh() on the hue bridge every time a motion sensor detects motion. The only time I see a delay is late at night when in the only one up.

2 Likes

Sigh, another day of routines “successfully firing” but failing to do anything.

1 Like

I have v2 ST hub and v1 Hue hub. The Hue stuff has been dead-nuts reliable. I have been considering shifting everything over to the Hue hub because of that, but have a couple of questions:

1. In addition to a few Hue bulbs and a bunch of Blooms, I have OSRAM (bulbs and retrofits, tunable white and color), GE Link, Cree, and Commercial Electric (tunable white retrofits). I searched, but didn’t find any information on which bulbs will pair with the v1 Hue hub. Will those all work?
  2. Should I punt and get a v2 hub? If’n I do that, what will it take to move the existing Hue bulbs over to the new hub?
  3. What’s the best way to control these? Is there something better/more reliable/still supported beside RM?

Research the specific standard your bulbs use. Hue only works for Zigbee Light Link (ZLL). I have a lot of GE Links connected to Hue hub and they work great, for example

UPDATE
@chickwebb your question reminded me that I have an Osram Bulb in ST that I meant to research to see if it can be moved to Hue. And just confirmed that it can. see this thread for the issues I ran into today:

I did that back in December, the migration was seamless. No messing with the bulbs or anything. There is a migration tool provided and good directions.I was done in less than 10 min…

It really depends on your use cases. Hue just released app 2.0, which adds their own scheduler…