Unable to pair zwave switch


#1

One of my GE zwave switches went to device unavailable status today. I tried removing it from things and ended up doing a force removal. Then when I tried adding it back it was never found. I tried doing a device exclusion, but that doesn’t seem to be getting me anywhere either, as it never is completing successfully.


#2

You may need to use the unpair mode in the ST app and than use “+” pairing mode again and click the on/off on the switch during both times.


#3

Isn’t unpair mode the device exclusion process from more/settings/hubs/zwave utilities? Or am I missing something?


#4

Correct. Run that mode-> go to the switch and press on/of until you see the exclution successful.


#5

Unfortunately this isn’t working. I never get a success message. I’ve tried turning it on/off several times, holding, etc. to no avail.


#6

Load the ST API website and find the Event log for the hub. See what shows up. You may need to refresh the view.


#7

What am I looking for? I don’t see the device listed. When I click events, there is a ton of stuff.


#8

I just want you to see if the Device Exclusion reprts successful. After that, you will be able to run the Device discovery and find the device. I had to that for my GE dimmer switch some time ago.


(Don) #9

Hate to jump in late, but your switch was probably fine. There is a thread where people are seeing this issue:

I had the same issue with some non GE stuff. I just toggled it at the switches and it cleared the unavailable thing in the app.

I know from personal experience I had one HE!! of a time getting one of mine to reconnect. I had to call support and have them walk me through it. It was for a different issue but they had me remove / exclude it and we had a hard time getting it back on.

I’m sure you have been here. This is where I started when I was trying to get mine to work.

Hope you get it back up and working.


#10

According to that log I just go into an exclude search but it never finds anything.


#11

Contacted support via chat, and they had me kill the power to the switch by pulling out the air gap tab and then pushing it back in. After doing this I was able to exclude and add the device right away.