Unable to edit devices in IDE - Access Denied Error

Hello everyone,

I was trying to edit (name, label) few of my devices using the IDE. I am able to fill in device details, however after clicking Update button, I am getting an error - “Access Denied! We’re sorry, but you are not authorized to perform the requested operation.”.

Earlier I never faced this issue while editing any device. It started yesterday, are you guys also facing the similar issue? Any clue to resolve this is highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Check the St status page :slight_smile:

Also, try using an incognito/private tab in your browser when accessing IDE

Thanks, I already tried incognito workaround, however it didn’t work.

Access Denied in the IDE can be triggered by having the webCoRE dashboard open in the same browser. Is that a possibility?

This is not the case here, I also used incognito tab, but it didn’t help as well.

I get this all the time and it’s damn annoying. Only way I have found to solve it without clearing browser data completely is to use incognito mode or a different browser. Seems to be an issue if you use webcore using the same browser.

I am getting this error again. I just moved all my stuff over to the new AEOTEC V3 hub and was having a great time adding/editing/deleting devices thru the IDE in my PC browser. Now 2 weeks later I sign back in to add/update a device I missed. I added it on phone but now cannot edit any devices in my PC browser. Using Incognito does not work and I do not remember what my previous workaround was. I thought it was related to being signed into webCoRE also but I logged out.

Help please.

Use https://account.smartthings.com to access IDE

Open a support ticket with ST support and attach a screenshot of the error you are receiving.

I am having this problem with “hub” only, i.e., I had no problem updating the Device “Name” and “Network Id” in the “Aeotec” location; however, I get the “Access Denied…” error whenever I try to update the “Hub” parameter. In fact, the “Aeotec” hub only has one device of the three I thought I had in it because I assigned them to the “Aeotec” location and I suppose I didn’t do that with the other two! Now, I can’t put them in there! They’re not in the original Samsung hub nor the new Aeotec hub, yet they work from the Aeotec location!

I can’t get the Hub parameter updated either. A failing hub is forcing me to change 115 devices and I sure don’t want to delete and add them again…

if your hub is failing and you are moving devices to a new hub then you need to remove them and add them on the new hub. You can’t edit the hub field in order to switch them in IDE. Also, if any devices are using Edge Drivers or cloud-to-cloud connected devices that use the new architecture… they display “Placeholder” can not be edited.

Unfortunately, there is no type of migration tool to move devices.

Thankfully the almost dead hub only disconnects 3-4 times a day so I can catch it online and swap hubs in the IDE.

Only this 3rd hub, which I used in a previous house 4 years ago and had to factory reset, gives me the Access Denied error.

firmware version on your hub? which models do you have for the failing and previous house. could that possibly be related to the 45.9 firmware release. ST will begin pushing out 45.11 on Monday to address a few issues.

if it is a directly connected device - changing the hub for it in IDE is not the proper way.

Also, IDE is in the process of being phased out. Most will be taken out of commission by Dec 31, 2022.

On the 3rd hub, need more info on devices you are trying to edit. If any of those have Placeholders, you can not edit.

Although you could migrate hub connected devices by changing the hub in the IDE you still needed to pair them again on the new hub. It was always a bit and miss.

I wouldn’t bother to try it now because a lot of devices are going to pair to Edge drivers instead of handlers and it could get really messy.

I hear what you both are saying but except for the upcoming firmware update that is a MAYBE, I still have to fix random offline devices and random times of day for 1 of 2 hubs in my system. It is not cool to not be able to turn lights on/off in half of the house. I know we are getting a bit off topic on a bigger issue of replacing a “bad” hub when it has 115 devices and tons of automations…I am not a fan of remaking my entire system.

jkp, I am running 45.09 and the “new” hub updated to that as well. It has no devices on the “new” hub yet and I don’t see anything with Placeholders. Some devices show LOCAL and some show CLOUD.

orangebucket, I found changing the Hub in the IDE and then doing a reset to allow it to be added/scanned to the changed hub will get it working in the App again. Currently unknown if it will still work in the automations and Smart Lighting app.

Yes, that is what I was trying to say, My points being 1) that you have to go through the same process with the devices regardless, and 2) it was not always possible to change the hub, sometimes the moved device didn’t work, and sometimes the device paired as new anyway.

Thanks for the help, guess I will wait for the firmware update since my last resort is adding 115 new devices with dozens of automations…

Hi - Regarding this response if changing the hub in the IDE is not the proper way, could you help we what is the proper way?

TIA.

What do you mean by “changing the hub”?

Changing the hub field for devices? If it is any device with Placeholder as the Device Type… you can’t change those now.

1 Like

Yeah, correct - Changing the hub field for 2 devices, their ‘Type’ is ZigbeeSwitch. They’re actually innr sockets that don’t have a value for ‘hub’ at the moment. In itself, that’s not a massive problem, I can still operate them but I’m trying to troubleshoot other issues in my network…