Ubiquiti UniFi Video and Protect NVR Integration

What are the advantages for me to upgrade to Unifi Protect? I already have a Unifi UVC-NVR 1T. I would like to get more integration with ST. I am running 15 cameras. Any opinions?

Not sure I can really provide any helpful information, but I’ll share some things.

I ran Unifi-Video on a NAS, it worked fine but was a pain to upgrade. It’s been so long ago I don’t really remember what the interface was like. Ubiquiti has announced end of life for Unifi-Video products. No more development or support beyond 2020.

If ST is SmartThings, I don’t use it anymore. I switched to Hubitat. Also have a Hubitat hub for sale :grin:. I’m not running my video through the Hubitat. Their dashboard is ugly and I don’t really use dashboards anyway.

I like the Unifi Protect phone app, it’s easy to use and has good features. Easy for my wife to use too.
Here’s a guy that does good videos on Unifi products.
https://youtu.be/Wswb7hfIDIo

I really like the Protect solution. The device just works and is well maintained by Ubiquiti. But I can’t really say in what ways might be better than Unifi Video.

| BobDad Scott Mahan
August 21 |

• | - |

What are the advantages for me to upgrade to Unifi Protect? I already have a Unifi UVC-NVR 1T. I would like to get more integration with ST. Any opinions?

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and made the switch to Protect and am very happy so far.

I have not been able to get the image capture to work on any of my UniFi cameras and SmartThings. The device shows a cloud with a line through it on the image capture frame of the device settings. Any ideas?

Sorry, I don’t have any ideas.

| BobDad Scott Mahan
August 27 |

• | - |

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and made the switch to Protect and am very happy so far.

I have not been able to get the image capture to work on any of my UniFi cameras and SmartThings. The device shows a cloud with a line through it on the image capture frame of the device settings. Any ideas?

Hi @cvincent

Amazing work you’ve done here.
As expected… the App works perfectly on the Classic App… but not on the new one :frowning:

any idea if it will ever work on the new app…

I haven’t migrated to the new app yet but looks like I’ll have to soon. When I do, I can assess what changes are required.

2 Likes

Thanks cvincent

Thank you @cvincent

If you need help debugging let me know :blush:
Programming… I suck :disappointed_relieved::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I saw above someone mentioned “snapshots”. Maybe I’m behind but… I always read if the cameras where managed by UniFi (vs stand-alone) - some of the external capability (like getting a snapshot for a website) didn’t work.

Not true. If you navigated to UniFi Protect settings there is a hidden password at the very bottom. You can use that password to login into your cameras using the camera IP.

Just something I recently found out…

Following this thread! Can’t wait to hook SmartThings with my Protect controller on the new ST app! :smiley:

I am waiting to receive my Unifi G4 Doorbell. I have a Unifi Dream Machine Pro that runs Protect but I am unfamiliar with it as all my IP Cameras are Hikvision. Will this 2016 integration work with a UDMP / Protect / G4 Doorbell setup? Does it work with the new app and will it continue to work as the current migration keeps progressing?

Yes… I will scan the last 4 years of posts but I am hoping for some recent feedback from another ST / UI user like myself.

Just installed from the latest SmartApp and DTH from GitHub. No cameras are appearing yet, but I’ll patiently follow!

There is no way to implement custom camera dths in the new app. The best you can do is use them as motion sensors only.

You will not get a live video feed because the capability does not exist.

Has this integration been updated to work with the new ST app (latest release was the 27 Oct 2020) as none of my Unifi Cameras are populating the ST app.

Id like to know that too.

I haven’t looked into the new app integration yet. Since I don’t use SmartThings much any more its been a low priority. I’ll try and find some time to check it out.

That would be great if you could. I’m trying to get the motion detection of one of my cameras (a G3 Flex) to switch on a Smartlife wifi socket to turn on some pathway lights and to turn off the pathway lights after a set time. Ideally I only want to do this during the hours of darkness.

I’d appreciate if you could update as well! Would like to use my cameras to set off events based on motion also.

Hi @jcookcle and @Topolino . I have Motion Detection working in the current version of the handler so you should be able use it to switch your sockets/lights. The one thing that appears to have broken in the New SmartThings app is the image capture which worked in the Classic App.

Motion detection for me is hit and miss, couple cameras show Wednesday and one Thursday, and their has been motion on all since those dates so not sure if this is reliable enough to activate lights.

Lots of that on every camera, pretty sure if I reset the SmartApp it will work again for awhile, I’ll try now