Tuya Smart Life - How come no compatability

Hi all,

I’m not a developer so please go easy on me.

I’ve just got a SmartThings Hub and was wondering why there is no integration with Tuya / smart life? I’ve seen some posts around security on here but their new service (from what i believe) is on AWS in the EU and US. Also there is full documentation here (https://docs.tuya.com/en/cloudapi/device_access.html) around the API calls to get it working, and i’ve assuming this is why IFTTT have an integration into their platform.

thanks

Andy

I just flashed my Tuya devices with Tasmota firmware and used my own device handlers. That way it doesn’t rely on the Tuya cloud.

I think a lot of people with Tuya devices do something similar which is why there hasn’t been too much attention paid to cloud to cloud integration.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t aware of that but from the YouTube videos I have just seen of this it seems to be the WiFi drivers that this works for. I am actually interest in then intergration with their Zigbee hub as I have just purchased that, two PIR sensors, door sensor and temperature sensors. They work great but they are Zigbee not WiFi and don’t think they will pair with the SmartThings as I don’t think they use the version of Zigbee that smartthings uses. Hence the cloud integration question.

Thanks

This kind of integration normally only happens at a (large) company to (large) company level, as the companies offering the API often thoroughly vet other companies’ use and implementation of the API so as to make sure that users’ privacy and security is protected.

However, I think in the case of the Tuya / SmartLife API, the thing that has prevented a user-created integration is the sheer complexity required for a working solution. Some users of the Hubitat Elevation Hub, a home automation hub similar to SmartThings’, have been working on a solution, but it requires running a mini-server on the local network, and there are issues and it does not work with all Tuya / SmartLife devices. Have a look here:

I don’t know much about Tuya’s ZigBee hub or ZigBee devices (I use a lot of Xiaomi / Aqara devices myself), but I do know that Tuya just joined the ZigBee Alliance, so I would expect that they probably have good reasons to make all of their ZigBee devices fully compliant with the official specifications. If that’s true, then in theory their devices should be able to be connected to a SmartThings Hub, and the only thing that needs to be worked is writing code for the device handlers to integrate them.

I think the Tuya hub is zigbee 3.0 certified. Of that’s the case, you can probably pair the sensors go SmartThings and manually assign them a default device handler.

Hi,
I am considering one of those sensors with screen: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000843004202.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.1ef13c00vVkVYn&mp=1
Has anyone tried them with ST?

Hi Davin- do you have a vid or write up how to do the flash and use the device handlers? bought x2 tuya door sensors and trying to add to samsung smartthings via Smartlife App. All of the other devices I previously used uploaded into smart things ok but the two new sensors not seen anywhere so clearly something is not quite right in the code. hope you have time / can advise. thx Dave