Trying to understand Modes

I am new to ST and am trying to climb the steep learning curve. I have found where I can name and edit Modes in the IDE, but I can’t find where or how those modes are made active. I would like to be able to click a button at night on the Smartthings Connect app to set the Mode to Sleep to trigger things.

In the SmartThings (Samsung Connect) app, you can manually change the mode from the Devices tab. Then you can setup a custom automation on the Automations tab to take actions on individual devices or a scene based on that mode change.

Jimmy, thanks for responding to my question. I am unable to see any mode options on the Devices tab on my android phone. I have also looked in the Add Device but can’t see a place to add them.

Make sure on the devices tab you have chosen a specific location from the drop down at the top.

I found the small bar at the top, just below Add Devise that has a drop-down for modes… Thanks.

1 Like

Glad you found it. Supposedly they are working on adding setting the mode to the scenes functionality.

1 Like

Does the phone, which is set as a presence sensor, automatically change modes when I am away from home?

No. You have to set an automation to do that.

I am sorry to be so uninformed, but when I add an automation, I can use one of the modes as a condition, but I can’t see where I set a mode in automations.

You would put the mode change on the Then side. You can’t use a mode as both an IF and a THEN, though. Try IF X devices leave, THEN change mode to X.

1 Like

OK, got it.

1 Like

^that’s a good link highlighting how to leverage modes. The only thing that wouldn’t apply is Routines since they don’t exist in the new app.

1 Like