Trying to connect Honeywell Z-Wave Thermostat (YTH8320ZW1007/U)

I have a Honeywell Z-Wave Thermostat (YTH8320ZW1007/U). I’m able to control it via my alarm app Total Connect 2.0. I believe my Honeywell Tuxedo alarm control panel is the one handling the z wave communication.

I’m trying to add it to my SmartThings app. I do all of the steps listed below from the instructions, but the device is never found. I have 20+ GE z wave light switches connected, some of which are several feet further away from the hub.

Could the hub distance be an issue or would the z wave light switches be repeating the thermostat signal back to the hub?

Any suggestions on how to get the thermostat connected to SmartThings? I have a feeling SmartThings will have more features than I have with Total Connect.

From the Dashboard, tap Add device
Android: Tap Add Device Manually
Select Thermostat
Tap Honeywell Z-Wave Thermostat
If you have more than one SmartThings Hub connected, select the Location you would like to add the device to, then tap Done
While the Hub searches:
Press the System button on the left side of the thermostat’s display
Press and hold the blank center button until the display changes
The first set of numbers/arrows is the “Function” section - Scroll until you find RF10
The second set of numbers/arrows is the “Setting” section - Select 1
Press Done in the lower left corner to save and exit
When the device is discovered, a message will appear that the device was successfully connected to your SmartThings Hub
Tap Edit to rename the device
When finished, tap Done
Tap Done again to confirm

Did you remove it from Total Connect first?

I did not. Do I have to release it from TC before ST will find it?

Yup. Can only be paired to one controller at a time.

1 Like

That did the trick. Thank you very much.

1 Like

If any one else has the same issues you can try and follow this video!

I purchased 3 used thermostats that had previously been connected and not removed from 1st owners system. So unlike the OP, I couldn’t remove them. However I did find another method. There is a communication chip in the thermostat. If you remove that chip, then reinsert it the old connection is erased. I attached a photo with a bit more detail on where to find the chip. Once I did this, I was able to connect all the thermostats per the regular method.TH8320ZW%20communication%20chip

You can exclude a device from SmartThings that was previously connect to any other system.