Tricky switched RGBW installation

Hi Everyone,

I have a socket under my island, controlled by a switch on the wall, intended to drive some island lighting (this is a socket my electrician installed at my request so I could easily retrofit under-island lights). This just has a live and neutral loop going to it. I also have access to a socket on the ringmain on the island. My goal is to install a Fibaro RGBW controller on the island to drive some LED tape lighting.

Like this…

What I’d like to figure out is how to have the wall switch turn the lights on/off (I’ll control brightness and colour from an app). I think I can do this:

Which would put 12v through the wall switch using the existing neutral and switched live wires, and obviously isolating it from the 240v live (!).

Would this work and would the switch toggle on/off in tandem with the app…?

@anon36505037 ? :slight_smile:

can you not just put the 240/110v switchsed supply into the 12v transformer, the way the switch will isolate the transformer as well. normally these come back on on the state they were turned off from?

If wired with the PSU in the switched socket, when the switch was off the app wouldn’t be able to turn the lights on ?

1 Like

ho often are you going to do it manually vs how often via the app?

I want to be able to control it via the app or via the switch at any time. If I wire it as you suggest Mark, the automation functionality via z-wave will be offline.

Make the wall switch a Smart switch.

Then you can toggle it by hand and by anything the SmartThings could do.

Grtn Ben

HI @anon36505037, re parameter 14, would the settings for each of the four ports be (in binary):
0101 - RGBW TOGGLE (BRIGHTNESS MODE)
0000 - nothing
0000 - nothing
0000 - nothing
= 0101 0000 0000 0000 which is 20480 in decimal?
I’d then wire the switch into port one?

Has anyone been able to add a simple on/off wall switch to turn the lights on and off? It could turn on to last used state or just turn on the white channel of the RGBW strip.

I have smarthings hub v2, but haven’t set it up yet since there’s no internet installed at the moment.

Thanks.

What actual switch can I use and would it be wired to IN1 and GROUND? I currently have a typical 110V light switch to use.

Okay so I have learnt soooo much around the Fibaro RGBW module and it’s setup. I have finally got it working with smarthings using the right device handler :slight_smile: https://github.com/codersaur/SmartThings/tree/master/devices/fibaro-rgbw-controller

Now I am configuring the switch as per above but feeling slightly out of my depth!

I have found some of the settings under parameter 14 that look like this

But where do I input the calculated value?

Here?

And in which case what do I do with the other values it then wants me to set!?

As usual THANKS in advance…

Thanks @anon36505037 I will give it a go across the weekend.

One other question… in terms of wiring it to a toggle switch - I actually have a momentary but will have to swap it out - … It is a twin and earth cable. I obviously don’t to pass any electricity to the fibaro (because it won’t be 12v) but I noted your comments around wiring it to In1 and ground. Any clues on what the wiring diagram would look like for using the twin & earth cable!?

Sorry @anon36505037 I didn’t get the chance to respond to you on this and have been busy working rather than doing what I want to do…finish my home automation project :slight_smile: \

Anyway so I think I need to use the retractive switch twin and earth cable with the live going to IN1 on the RGBW module and the Neutral going to GND (without any power going from the lighting circuit as the LED driver is already supplying 12v)

is that correct? Will it allow dimming using this function from parameter 14? Or should I look at additional/alternative config for dimming? Wall_switch_with_Fibaro_RGBW_-RGBW_Controller-_Smart_Home_Forum_by_FIBARO

Hey Robin, I have a momentary switch via IN1 controlling all four channels, I’m using them for white led strips.

Thanks both. After having a play around i managed to get what I wanted working. It now dims all 4 channels RGBW using the retractive switch.

My issue was with the android smartthings app that didn’t want to commit all the config changes on the handler. I did it via the iOS app and it worked first time :unamused:

I will post some pics of my setup in a bit