Time based events failing?

Sounds like a bs answer to me.

1 Like

Support emailed me back indicating that the issue has been resolved and suggested the “change the time by a minute” approach to resetting existing SmartApps.

I’m currently running SimpleRuleBuilder and also EventGhost + REST API endpoint in order to trigger my espresso machine on at 5:00am (via SRB) and then again at 5:05am (via EventGhost). It sounds stupid but this machine not firing up causes no end of frustration in the mornings.

I’ll watch this thread to see how this turns out. I still don’t have a lot of faith that this is resolved so I might just leave the current, redundant approach (that doesn’t rely on ST schedules) in place for a while.

Trust me when I say that I understand the turmoil that occurs when the espresso machine fails to fire up.

My retirement job (currently) is dispatching from home and traveling the southeast performing maintenance and repair of professional level gourmet espresso machine.

Try walking into a store addy 8 am to a bunch of pissed off yoga pants wearing soccer mom’s that haven’t had their pumpkin spice latte yet!

While is fun seeing them getting mad and storming off too their suv’s, it’s still a pain… But watching those yoga pants stomp away makes it all better! ! !

1 Like

Tim is this new “hotfix” that was deployed today, or is the same one you mentioned yesterday?

My time-based thermostat SmartApps haven’t been firing, but the ones for turning lights on when someone arrives after sunset/before sunrise have been working. I’ve unplugged my hub and we’ll see if that solves the problem or if I need to go and modify each SmartApp.

Perhaps I should hook the hub up to an old analog timer that turns it off for 20 minutes every night…

2 Likes

Hmm, seems slightly different from:

hey…all I can do is report what the person on Chat told me. I was just trying to figure out why my lights were turning off and on during my scheduled time.

Not doubting you in the slightest. Just the irony of dealing with ST recently. :open_mouth:

A very smart person reminded me that the v2 has batteries in another thread. Dont forget that power off resets require pulling the batteries as well for 15 min. Oops!

2 Likes

Poltergeist update: my sunset event (smart lights automation) ran tonight (two nights in a row), scheduled event line was blank before and after, which is interesting as most of the other events do have something in the scheduled event line.

I guess this is why I’m happier than most, my GF keeps walking into certain rooms, pausing for a second and then goes and switches the light on, why?

“we really need to automate the lights in every room…”

God bless her, budget be damned, lets automate this house!

2 Likes

Sunset and Sunrise were updated a long time ago as special Event triggers (subscribable) instead of being fetched times that are put into the scheduler…

http://docs.smartthings.com/en/latest/smartapp-developers-guide/sunset-and-sunrise.html

1 Like

Yeah… my wife is the one that wanted the garage door opener… Actually, she just wanted a sensor to show that it was closed… but I accidentally ordered the garage door controller… and she’s ok with that!

2 Likes

Wow, that’s not what I would have inferred from this documentation:

Because the sunriseTime and sunsetTime events are fired every day for the next sunrise/sunset event, we use runOnce to schedule one execution. Sunrise and sunset times change, so the next time the events are fired, we will create another scheduled execution using the runOnce method for that time.

@Jim can the documentation spell out that the next scheduled event line in the IDE will be blank if the event trigger is just sunrise/sunset? It’s really confusing when you’re trying to track down a trigger failure.

1 Like

Indeed… I may be making a leap in assumptions. Let’s see what official clarifications we get.

1 Like

I suspect that my crazy events were/are due to runin mostly, but didn’t have time to chase the cause. I am hoping that enough people yell so things get back on track.

1 Like

I can confirm this. My garage shutter has a ST multi and since past few days it randomly fails to report close state even after the garage is closed - then i get a notification that garage was left open for 15 mins when its actually closed. Luckily I have a camera in my garage to get a visual confirmation. I will try powering the hub down and let zigbee repair itself and see if that helps.

1 Like

@ashutosh1982 and @SBDOBRESCU, I see similar things. My impression is that the problem is a relatively high rate of dropped events. Where they get dropped is anyone’s guess. It appears somewhat random, things like failing to turn lights on from motion, or off after some time, but then the same thing working 10 minutes later. I’ve noticed this since the weekend.

2 Likes

I presume you are all on Hub V2? I haven’t noticed any such problems on my Hub V1. Just adding this as a data point.

2 Likes

Not me. It’s been a rough several days for ST.

2 Likes