Things I like BETTER about the new app vs Classic

Event data already expires after 7 days.

just choose any standard device. once the hub is in pairing mode it will add any device it finds.

1 Like

Some people have suggested it was so they could time it with the release of new phone hardware.

https://news.samsung.com/us/samsung-galaxy-s9-s9plus/

The fact that it wasn’t finished was only a problem for those of us here that don’t limit ourselves to the officially supported DTHs and automations. And as mentioned, Samsung basically doesn’t give a shit because it’s such a small proportion of their total user base.

3 Likes

Astute observation and explains why they immediately recommended that all new Customers use the new App, even though Classic was more stable and Community supported.

Presumably having SmartThings built into the new phones and TVs must be helping SmartThings’s Hub sales growth too… And yet this Community is NOT growing (nor is the number of Likes of the SmartThings official Facebook Page: Stuck at around 60k for a couple years).

We really don’t know what’s going on outside our neighborhood.

3 Likes

The new app can now handle scenes with non-lighting devices. My guess is this is a first step towards replacing Routines.

3 Likes

I guess it is somewhat satisfying to see the features that early Community members requested and described a few years ago, finally being realized.

This Topic below is from September 2014 … But Scenes were discussed even in 2013. We didn’t mention non-lighting devices often, but it makes sense (at least for Thermostats and Window Shades…)

2 Likes

I like the scene paradigm. It’s easy for beginners to grasp and familiar to users of other apps (Hue).

1 Like

I appreciate your keeping us up to date with the new app. Do you think you could mention the version number when you spot changes? For example, is this something that you just discovered, was enabled remotely or is from an update in the App Store. If the latter, I’m not seeing an update but maybe it’s still rolling out.

no app update in this case. i’m still on iOS 1.6.11 that came out a month ago. with the scenes creator being cloud based, they could update it at any time.

Looks like they also fixed the sunset to sunrise bug in the custom automation creator. i got all my custom devices working to some extent, so i’ve been using the app more as I migrate things.

What I like the most about the new SmartThings App is, I don’t have to install it right now!

That’s all.

Carry On

4 Likes

Most of the more involved community members / developers have jumped ship to another platform :sunglasses:

1 Like

I guess I’m making up the slack for them…

9 Likes

@Automated_House do you have any ge zwave fan switches working?

Yes, but they have the dimmer UI in the new app, not the low/med/high buttons. Here’s the same fan device in both apps.

2 Likes

what DTH are you using?

@jscgs350 with metadata modifications

do you have a link for that by any chance, I can’t seem to find it? Or can you share the DTH if you altered it?

Just add mnmn: “SmartThings”, vid: “generic-dimmer” to the metadata definition on your current one. Then edit and save the device without changing anything.

got it working, but only 1 of my fans is showing up the other 2 say disconnected, any ideas? I am having this problem with several devices, that are on the same DTH some work, some dont.

Awesome! My fans were one of the main things that wasn’t working in the new app! You don’t have a fix for any of these devices by chance?

Innovelli dual outlets with stock handler
Myq garage doors - custom handler
Fibaro fgk-101 with a custom handler for temperature
Aeon home energy monitor - custom handler